What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon fruit seedlings for SASE

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
I tried dragon fruit last july, and though I wasn't impressed with the white fleshed fruit, I really enjoyed the red fleshed one (Hylocereus costaricensis). I sowed a bunch of the seeds and right now I have about 50 tiny dragon fruit cacti. I have 30 red fleshed seedlings and ten white fleshed seedlings that I want to give away (they're so crammed together none can grow any more!) They're small enough that I think they can go in an envelope if you supply a little vial or tic tac container. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't weigh more than an ounce but if you want more than one you should add extra postage.

These are great outdoor plants in zone 9-11, since they can take huge amounts of water and grow really fast (you can also grow them indoors if they have something to climb on).

Uprooted they'll look like this:
be9h6w.jpg

If you don't supply a little plastic container or something like it, I'll still try to ship one, but I have no idea if it'll make it. Just pm me the type you want and I'll give you my address. Totally not required, but I'd also appreciate any common cp seeds (just out of the goodness of your heart.)

Happy growing!

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Oh, and also, the seedlings range from 2 inches to 1 mm. I'll send the biggest that can fit in your SASE, so any hard plastic container will do if you just want whatever. You don't need any fancy packaging for this, these guys can survive in a cramped space for a few days or even weeks. As seedlings these can be grown on a windowsill in the winter, outside in full sun in the summer. They're pretty hardy, I have a larger plant about 2 feet high I left in a dark corner all winter, and when I put it outside it started growing again.

Handy links for when you receive the plants:

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/plntmail.htm
http://dragonfruit.foodlywise.com/h...t_commercially/growing_dragonfruit_seedlings/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_fruit

Last edited:
That little plant is absolutely adorable, and as it just so happens I have some tiny vials lying around. Count me in :)

PM'd! I love dragon fruit!

I noticed there are a bunch of tiny seedlings that I didn't count, so if I run out of the larger ones people can have the small ones. Still 5 more people can get larger ones though. (The seedling sizes vary a LOT, so if you ask for five a couple will probably be itty-bitty).

Happy growing!

can you pm me your adress?

I have pms from SGcvn69, Dexenthes, Raven01000, Capslock, frilleon, timmy, exo, chezilla, and Vbkid in that order. I think I have enough plants for a couple more people though, and if I find out after I send them out I have more, I'll reopen the offer.

I'll tell you when I send yours out, and feel free to ask me care for these guys. Good luck with them :)

And dashman and Steven Magee make two more. No more pms for now, please, I'll see if I have more once I ship em out.

Me too! I would like to try dragonfruit. Thanks for the offer.

Count me in! What's the zone?

Sorry limeslide and ieat100s, as of now I have enough pms. If people don't send me a SASE or I have extra seedlings, I'll be sure to let you know.

Sent out SGcvn69's 4/19

sent out Frilleon's 4/20

Sent out Exo's 4/21

sent out Raven01000's 4/22

sent out LimeSlide's 4/27

sent out Chezilla's 4/30

As of 4/26: If anyone wants to cancel please let me know, a couple of people have.
Guys, please PLEASE put your forum name in the envelope if you haven't sent it yet, or just print out the page pming me about it. Some people live in the same general area and it's hard to figure out. (Please just keep it simple for me!)

Last edited:
If anyone has received their seedlings I'd like to know if they arrived safely (I've never done this before!)

Haven't gotten mine yet

Finally got it today! Which one is which though?

Um... Didn't I mark them? I think I did "W" for white and "R" for red on the vials... did I?

I received mine today; they arrived safely and I've got them all potted up. Thank you very much for the replacement vial too! I kept the bigger one for myself and had enough plants to share with my mom and a friend :)
Thanks so much!

Glad they arrived safely! Just make sure you gradually expose them to light as they've been in the dark for a while. Eventually they should be able to take full sun.

To the people who have not sent your SASE yet, I will not be accepting them after 5/12. If you still want the seedlings but for some reason couldn't send them out, please tell me and I'll make an exception.

I got mine today, they arrived in good condition and I just potted them up. Thanks! It'll be great watching them grow.

Back