Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarr. Oreophila seeds for possible trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarr. Oreophila seeds for possible trade

I have about 75 Sarr. Oreophila seeds for trade. I'd have to count them to be sure. They are open pollination, so they are more than likely hybrids. I purchased these from a place in Oregon. I have stored them in the fridge, and the are harvested from October 2009. Please let me know if you have anything you could offer up in trade. I am not looking for other seeds except perhaps highland or hybrid Nep. seeds. All offers considered. I am really looking for a highland Nep. Truncata or Ping. Moranensis if you have an extra, but that isn't much of a fair trade.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be sure it not pure S. oreophila seeds, not sure if it matters if it would be a cross. This plant is on Cities list. It has very strict laws about trading plants or seeds.
    I had the same trouble when I divided my S. oreophila plants. I would have to gift them and not even be able to ask for shipping even.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4310.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the ESA that regulate trade within the US. You are not allowed to trade/sell species listed as endangered across state lines (without proper permits). You may give them away for free however. You can not ask for reimbursement of shipping/postage either if they go across state lines. In state you can do whatever you want with them.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know all about CITES and the regulations. I purchased these seeds from an extremely well known nursery in Northwest Oregon. They are sold as hybrids because they are open pollination. I will contact them and see what their explanation is. I know people make mistakes, but they are very responsible, and abide by the law. I will post an answer when I receive one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    It's the ESA that regulate trade within the US. You are not allowed to trade/sell species listed as endangered across state lines (without proper permits). You may give them away for free however. You can not ask for reimbursement of shipping/postage either if they go across state lines. In state you can do whatever you want with them.
    Joshua from PA
    Grow List

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure I know the nursery you are referring to. They have the permits to sell / trade this plant over state lines.

I did not research it that much, but looked like it was around $100.00 a year to obtain the permits to sell / trade these plants over state lines.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The response I have received from the nursery:

"They're off base. It's perfectly legal to sell and distribute seeds of plants on CITES. The protection only covers plants, not seeds. We sell seeds of this species on our website. Do an online search for more information about CITES. As far as I'm concerned, you're in the clear."
    Joshua from PA
    Grow List

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds legit enough, but I can't imagine why CITES would allow seed distribution of plants on their list. It just seems like a gaping hole, since many people poach seeds as well. "Hey guys, you can rip the plants out of the ground and sell the seeds, but you absolutely can NOT. SELL. THE PLANT." If the plant is nursery grow in the first place, the seeds would be going to people who would propagate them and keep them out of extinction, so why limit that? (Though I guess being able to ship them without reimbursement is enough for the good-hearted people...)

The trade rule seems strange. You could easily, openly legitly "give away" the plant to someone without being reimbursed for shipping, and then THEY could easily "give away" a plant that you wanted as a "thank-you". Anyone who really wanted to get something for a cites plant or seeds looks like they could do so if they know the other person.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last thing I wanna do is open a thread debating CITES laws and regs. We all know where they end up going. I am going off of what I understand the law to be and what the nursery who sold me the seeds told me.
    Joshua from PA
    Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast