What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BlackBerry bush SASE

Hey everyone, i have wild blackberry bushes everywhere, even growing into our yard, and where we would rather not have them. I'm willing to SASE them to anyone who wants some. some things I'm looking for...

pepper seeds (all kinds) banana, jalapeño, bell, long, etc
and other vegetable seeds

I'll Start off with 5 SASE's and if there are more people I'll see what i can do.

Some info you may want to know...

1. they are hardy to zone 6, or here in NY
2. they are pretty invasive if you don't keep them up, they came with the property and i have 100's scattered in the weeds.
3. they multiply by tons of methods, the most common i see is popping up where ever they decide to and runners. the branches hang down and new plants for when the tips touch the ground.
4. there is one main harvest time, which varies with weather, 2-3 weeks for me, with the amount we have i get just about 5 pints or more of berries, that i can collect/get to and that don't get eaten by animals
5. they could be black raspberries, i don't know if there is a big difference but just so you know

i will ship as many as you pay shipping for, I will be shipping first to second year plants, ranging from 8" to over a foot. Shipped barerooted, roots wrapped moist paper towel. you might not get any berries this year. I can offer a couple mother plants too i guess :), but shipping will be expensive if i don't cut them back. Large plants are probably 1ft diameter at the base, and 4+ft spread

Please Pm me with how many you would like and i'll send you the shipping charges

SASE LIST:

just FYI if they are spreading by underground runners they are likely black raspberries.....easiest way to tell is if when you pick the fruit if there is a hollow in the middle of the fruit cause it leaves a cone type thing left on the plant its a raspberry.......if the whole thing comes off clean its a blackberry....

unfortunately im zone 3 to 4a and very few blackberries or black raspberries will fruit here as they tend to be more tender and fruit on 2nd year growth....our winters tend to kill brambles to the ground.......

just FYI if they are spreading by underground runners they are likely black raspberries.....easiest way to tell is if when you pick the fruit if there is a hollow in the middle of the fruit cause it leaves a cone type thing left on the plant its a raspberry.......if the whole thing comes off clean its a blackberry....

unfortunately im zone 3 to 4a and very few blackberries or black raspberries will fruit here as they tend to be more tender and fruit on 2nd year growth....our winters tend to kill brambles to the ground.......

OK thanks for the info rattler, then they are Black raspberries then :)

if you want you could try them out they seem to be pretty hardy, we had winter probably in the teens this year not sure, but we did get over a foot of snow. I could send a woodier plant to you, if not thats ok too :p

Grr, I just sowed 50 peppers. XD

Step one for blackberry bushes: Don't pesticide your backyard.

Step two: Leave a small corner unmowed.

Step three: No step three. Blackberries are king where I live! In a square meter of them you'll get 50 pounds of fruit a season, even the wild version. They're fun plants, I suggest anyone who doesn't have them in their yard get them. They're great up against a fence. I love any fruit that is fresh. So much better than in the supermarket.

we get to -40 every winter, occationally down to -60 and generally have very lil snow.......

ive got a couple purple raspberries which are a black and red hybrid and they are a variety that is fairly hardy, looks like it got killed to the roots this winter even though we had more snow than normal......the only raspberries that dont kill to ground level are the extremly hardy red varieties.....most reds and all yellows die to the ground but it isnt as big a deal as they fruit on first year wood so they produce in the fall for me......blacks and purples fruit on second year growth so if they die to the ground they will never fruit....

however if no one else bites ill prolly take some off your hands to try......the wife wants a huge raspberry patch so she doesnt complain when i get more even if they are just experiments.....ive got some low growing(less than a foot tall) alpine raspberries that have gone through their second winter and im hoping fruit this year....

Limslide, you can still take some for SASE :)

Silence is god: yes they do make a great natural fence haha i always manage to get a scratch or cut here and there nothing that bad though. sounds like you have a lot, possibly more than me?? they do taste pretty good right out of the yard + or - the bugs :p

rattler: yup if you decide you want some ill be happy to send you some, -40 is pretty cold, it would be interesting to see how they do. The vines look like crap for a few weeks in early spring, but then you start seeing new growth come from what appear to be dead vines, at least thats what i notice. to me they look all dried out but somehow they manage to regrow.

Ill try to take some pics tomorrow for examples

Man... I don't know if spreading Blackberries around is a good idea. I don't know about Black Raspberries, but Himalayan blackberries are extremely invasive and can potentially turn a native ecosystem into a biologically dead zone in as little as a few years. Seeing some streams over run from blackberries is heart breaking, and hard to imagine what they would have looked liked with a full functioning ecosystem....

we have thousands of blackberry bushes out here in just a mile square area, we cant stop em lol....berries are delicious but god they are annoying, we have raspberries and blackberries everywhere too along with salmon berries, wild strawberries, and red huckleberries since we are in the lower altitudes....

Black raspberries arent near as invasive as blackberries, but they can get out of hand without proper tending...

Man... I don't know if spreading Blackberries around is a good idea. I don't know about Black Raspberries, but Himalayan blackberries are extremely invasive and can potentially turn a native ecosystem into a biologically dead zone in as little as a few years. Seeing some streams over run from blackberries is heart breaking, and hard to imagine what they would have looked liked with a full functioning ecosystem....

if they are black raspberries like he says they are then they are a native species......native to where he lives even.......himalayan blackberries also get ALOT bigger than he is describing, close to 4 times bigger or more.....red and black raspberries are native to the US, they are also in gardens in every state.....there is nothing wrong with distributing them for gardening purposes....

I will be posting pictures within a couple hours just have to do school work first...

yes they are pretty invasive but I'm sure with proper care, pruning they can easily be maintained. They came with the property so we didn't plant them so i don't know how long they have been here, at the moment they spread more in clumps, there are huge clumps of blackberry bushes all over the yard, they dont completely take over though, more they stay in there area

be back with pics later
dustin

all brambles are fairly invasive if left to do their own thing, even where they are native......

BTW blackberries tend to stay put cause they dont spread via underground runners like raspberries.....they spread by the stems arching over and touching the ground and rooting......so even only half watching its pretty easy to keep blackberries in check in your yard......

haha, little confused now, they do stay in one spot like blackberries, i'm not entirely sure if they spread underground, but they do spread with the arching and touching the ground. So these are still black raspberries right?

here is one of the arching plants id offer cutting for the other stem so i leave all the roots intact
Picture073.jpg

one growing in gravel
Picture074.jpg

then the larger ones all over in the weeds
Picture077.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Back