What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of Plants

Timmy

BANNED
Does anyone have these

DM Sharks Teeth
DM Sawtooth
DM Bristletooth
N Ampullaria Green
N Ampullaria Brunei Red
Drosera Capensis Seed
Drosera Capensis Alba seed

I'll tell you what I have to trade in a PM

I've got lots of D. capensis, D. capensis alba sprouts, and an N. ampullaria 'Bau Spotted'.

Hi Timmy,
How are you?
Your message box is full.
I have a lot of DM ´Sawtooth` and seeds of D. capensis.
D. capensis is still young and will take time to get seeds from .
May you trade with me?
Thank you and best regards,
Marcos Ono

For one, Timmy, its illegal to import seeds from another country without a permit, sorry its nothing personal against your Marcos

2, your asking for D. capensis which andy sells on his site for quite cheap, and its against rules to request said plants (those that are offered on Andy's site)

and another question, how are you planning to keep your ampullarias?
your asking about highlanders in one thread and now some solid lowlanders here, can you provide the lowland conditions?
(80 degrees pretty much at a fare constant and constant high humidity)

For one, Timmy, its illegal to import seeds from another country without a permit, sorry its nothing personal against your Marcos

2, your asking for D. capensis which andy sells on his site for quite cheap, and its against rules to request said plants (those that are offered on Andy's site)

and another question, how are you planning to keep your ampullarias?
your asking about highlanders in one thread and now some solid lowlanders here, can you provide the lowland conditions?
(80 degrees pretty much at a fare constant and constant high humidity)

I just felt I had to bring this up since so many people are so quick to tie a noose around someones neck here for mentioning something against Andy's business. I understand not advertising for another nursery, but calm down a little. Perhaps Timmy has something interesting to trade to other growers. Besides, we all know Capensis is a common plant in cultivation, but he is looking for seeds, not the plant. Perhaps he just wants the experience of trying to grow a plant from seed, and wants to start simple. Andy does not offer seed for sale.

Sorry if I am going on a bit of a tangent here. I'm just tired of people getting the ropes ready to lynch someone over this stuff. We are here to spread the joy of our hobby, this isn't a good way to do so.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Oh, and I will have some Capensis seed soon. Flowering now. Don't know how much your looking for, but you can have them all for a SASE when it seeds.

D. capensis is an exception to that rule- there is no restriction on trading this plant even though I sell it.
Andrew

I dont feel i tied a noose around his neck, i feel i asked very valid questions, many times new people to the hobby jump head first into an area they are unfamiliar with and it ends up turning, not so good.
Timmy has said previously in threads that he doesnt know much about neps, so, one would wonder why in one thread hes asking about trying rare highlanders, and now some solid lowlanders...

Because there are a lot of cool-looking plants that are available.
There were few when I was his age(30 years ago) and all of them were easy.
Timmy , do you have any Nepenthes yet?

not to but in but i was where timmy is a month ago so here is what i have and are looking for(not willing to trade for, just listing easy plants)

Andy has them............ventrata, ventricosa.

other easy ones.........truncata, alata, maxima.

all are highlanders(exept for some truncatas) with warm days(70's to the 80's and cool night drops...aim for at least 10 degrees.) and of course have some humitiy.

i have two of these and they are growinf nice. try them out first timmy, that way it can be a 12 dollar mistake instead of an 80 dollar mistake in case they die.

easy highlanders? ventricosa and ventrata (atleast the common ventricosa) are tolerant of almost anything you give them really from lowland to highland conditions, so that point isnt really valid, he needs to try actual highlanders, easier ones of course, truncata isnt even TECHNICALLY highland, the "highland" variety is more intermediate....

he needs to try some true highland plants that are easy
spectabilis, sanguineae, ramispina, fusca, i agree on maxima, and even various highland hybrids....

:offtopic: Hi Marcos, I have no messages but my PM box is full, idk why, but are you in the US?

On my windowsill I grow, Nepenthes - spectabilis, ventricosa, sanguinea, truncata highland, and a Nepenthes x 'Kohala'. The only one that has given me trouble is the spectabilis, but it is getting pitchers on it this spring for the first time in the year since I purchased it. I always heard they can be a pain to acclimate and refuse to pitcher for a while. My truncata is growing like crazy. Only plant that didn't cease pitchering over the winter. Every pitcher it sends out seems to be about 1/2" larger than the last.

My recommendations for beginner Neps.

Ventricosa, sanguinea, truncata highland, and any hybrid with highland in it.

Timmy, check your "sent" folder and clear that out ;)

Easy? Get a highland truncata. ;)

I grow all my plants in my closet. Hardly that much air circulation until I open it at night, it's dry in there, yet I grow some rather fancy pants plants and hybrids in there. Recently I found out that you can even use hard water on neps to some extent, so I'm pretty much doing everything wrong except giving it good light and my plants are pretty much in tip top shape. If I had a decent windowsill, I'd be working wonders.

My personal favorites that will definitely work for you are Ventricosa x Spectibilis, Veitchii x Chaniana, and definitely my new N. x Red Dragon.

I used to only like species and I used to be kind of a snob about it, but really the hybrids just offer so much flexibility because most hybrids seem to grow faster than their actual parents. As the previous owner of an N. Veitchii, I didn't really have a whole lot of interest in it until I was gifted a Veitchii x Chaniana and that's what started the hybrid craze.

One plant I won't recommend that is widely known as bombproof is N. x Miranda. It's easy to grow, but it really doesn't kick off until it starts getting bigger i.e. it's a little slow for a first time grower. Mine took me a year to really start growing stupid fast (1 leaf every 10 days) and it's honestly getting way too big this year, mine is now getting to be two feet across and the plant itself isn't even six inches tall... I shouldn't have fertilized it this year. It would have probably been too big for a windowsill about six months ago actually from a size 4 plant.

Contact Xantius, he offered me an N. Reinwardtiana and I hear those are one of the top 3 fastest growers and I've really wanted one for a long time and would trade any of my plants for it.

Also avoid ebay like the devil unless it's a certain grower I know on this forum if you're a beginner. They're that cheap for a reason and I've thrown out most of my ebay plants out of frustration.

Back