Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red LFS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice it doesn't say anything about what a property owner may or may not do with what is on their land. That's a whole other story. You have done very well figuring out what a person may or may not do with Michigan land and what is found on it. Guess you didn't read the part where it say's,"The state's laws differ considerably between collecting wild "native" plants and collecting native plants on private property." I guess it's all up to Andrew..
    I can prove it came from private property, and I can prove permission was given to remove it.
    However, anyone that has a sealed agreement on the trade of this LFS can feel free to completely back out. No harm done. I will totally understand..

But I have to ask.. If the owner of private property has what they consider a "nuisance" and they tell someone to "take it all out of here, it just get's in the way". Then who is at fault, the owner or the removal person/company? Yes, the disposal of said product may come into question. Like what did the person do with it after it was removed. But then think about this.. How can our local nursery buy a peat bog in the Saginaw area, and harvest said peat to sell at their store? My "guess" would be because it has been purchased and has now become private property.

So really the only thing I may be doing wrong is using USPS to send "products" over state lines. They also no longer allow people to use their company to ship tarantulas. Which is why UPS and FedEx are the main source of shipping. But then again, when the USPS counter person asked what the contents of the package was and I said,"Live moss..". He replied with,"OH Okay.. it looked like a big bag of pot, so I had to ask." Guess they don't really have a problem with shipping said product over state lines.

NOW, onto the moral part of the discussion.. The property owner MOWS AS MUCH OF THIS STUFF DOWN AS HE CAN!! So, I am indeed saving this moss and it's contents from imminent destruction. And the trade and sale of these materials is strictly going to growers and cultivators. So, IMO.. I'm ensuring it's survival. Don't judge me if you don't know what the whole story is. Maybe you should've done more research..
    Something else I just thought about.. according to you, the property owner isn't allowed to mow his property because that would be considered destruction and removal. So he could be arrested for mowing his lawn and removing the waste? Private property laws are different bud..
    Last edited by mass; 05-30-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's all the quick and witty responses I've grown so accustomed to!?!?

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Where's all the quick and witty responses I've grown so accustomed to!?!?
    GrowingOld! WHERE ARE YOU
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    GrowingOld! WHERE ARE YOU
    LOL! You can say that again!
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laws do vary by states, unfortunately for nature in some cases. I do know that along the coastal areas of Maryland it is illegal to fill in any "critical" wetlands, be it your own property or not. This is to perserve the natural areas and help prevent runoff into the bay. The DNR have been known to fly along the coastline checking for changes in the amounts of wetlands on people's property.
    If the property owner in question feels his bog is a nusiance, then perhaps he needs to check into having it declared a protected area and receive a tax write off for having a "nusiance" on his property.
    BTW, the selling, shipping, etc of any "legally" protected plant must be accompined by paper work from the property owner proving that the plants were collected on private property.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your going to have to hit up the land owner about all that jazz.. Right now I'm just trying to do what I can, when I can. It's an extremely large bog, so my dealings there are petty..

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the long way this pasted. This an excert from part of a public service bulliten on growing native plants in Michigan:

"Collecting native plants on
    private property is governed
    by private property laws and
    the Christmas Greens Act.
    Endangered and threatened
    native species are additionally
    protected by the
    Endangered Species Act.
    “Endangered” means a species
    that is in danger of extinction
    throughout all or a
    significant part of its range.
    “Threatened” means a species
    which is likely to become
    endangered within the
    foreseeable future throughout
    all or a significant portion
    of its range. No parts of
    these plants may be collected,
    even on your own or
    another’s private property,

without first consulting with
    the Michigan Department of
    Natural Resources."

From what I could find club moss, alpine club moss, fir club moss, mountin-fir club moss, apperssed moss and bladderworts are listed as endangered. i tried to find sundews on the list but didn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but could you repeat the last 2 sentences for me? Sounded like you said sundews and sphagnum moss weren't on the threatened or endangered list. Thus making it okay to collect them both on private property. God I love being right..
    If any of you haters wish to apologize, feel free to do it in a PM. I wouldn't want to make you look bad (like you tried to do to me)..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast