Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red LFS

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are about 30 species of Sphagnum moss that are classified as rare or endangered in North America, including Sphagnum nitidum - a red species.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    There are about 30 species of Sphagnum moss that are classified as rare or endangered in North America, including Sphagnum nitidum - a red species.
    Including S. rubellum... Aren't most red species endangered? I recall that lfs harvesters can collect sphagnum in general if they're "trying" to get the least concern ones, but they're not allowed to take the endangered ones (or the endangered cps, of course) on purpose.

Meaning it would have been legit for you in that case to have collected the green, non-endangered ones with permission from the owner, but taking the red only is a grey area.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Were not talking about North America.. Were talking about Michigan specifically. Your radar is too broad..
    Did you know that Michigan is in north America?
    Last edited by Sig; 05-30-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Aren't most red species endangered?
    Is that documented or speculation. You need to be sure in this thread, or you'll never hear then end of it..

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I give up.

Is that documented or speculation. You need to be sure in this thread, or you'll never hear then end of it..
    I'll be continuing my research on this, i was checking the Michigan list, I hadn't started on the federal one yet. Thought i said that earlier, if not i apologize for raising any false hopes.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I was also able to find the citation for this, but I was only able to find state by state restrictions on collecting it. So, for now I would suggest staying far away from any club moss-what do you collect for the pet store? And be extra sure you are not collecting any bladderworts by accident.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    Thought i said that earlier, if not i apologize for raising any false hopes.
    You did not.. apology accepted and not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    What do you collect for the pet store? And be extra sure you are not collecting any bladderworts by accident.
    I'm not at liberty to say.. Nothing special though. I haven't seen a single CP when and where I collect. The only time I've seen a CP associated with this moss is a week or two after it's been under my grow lights. I haven't even seen anything in or near the bog itself. And everything I have collected is as gone as Elvis. For those of you that got some, enjoy! The remaining trades will be shipped as agreed. I am a man of my word!!
    I'm sick of being the center of moral attacks, this and that. Blah blah blah.. With that being said, I am now going to bow out of my own thread for good. Bah Bye..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please close this thread, seeing as its intent has been fulfilled and this is just going to go on and on. this is just like a timmy thread at this point.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sick of being the center of moral attacks, this and that. Blah blah blah.. With that being said, I am now going to bow out of my own thread for good. Bah Bye..
    Mods: Please Close Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234