What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red LFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laws do vary by states, unfortunately for nature in some cases. I do know that along the coastal areas of Maryland it is illegal to fill in any "critical" wetlands, be it your own property or not. This is to perserve the natural areas and help prevent runoff into the bay. The DNR have been known to fly along the coastline checking for changes in the amounts of wetlands on people's property.
If the property owner in question feels his bog is a nusiance, then perhaps he needs to check into having it declared a protected area and receive a tax write off for having a "nusiance" on his property.
BTW, the selling, shipping, etc of any "legally" protected plant must be accompined by paper work from the property owner proving that the plants were collected on private property.

Your going to have to hit up the land owner about all that jazz.. Right now I'm just trying to do what I can, when I can. It's an extremely large bog, so my dealings there are petty..

Sorry for the long way this pasted. This an excert from part of a public service bulliten on growing native plants in Michigan:

"Collecting native plants on
private property is governed
by private property laws and
the Christmas Greens Act.
Endangered and threatened
native species are additionally
protected by the
Endangered Species Act.
“Endangered” means a species
that is in danger of extinction
throughout all or a
significant part of its range.
“Threatened” means a species
which is likely to become
endangered within the
foreseeable future throughout
all or a significant portion
of its range. No parts of
these plants may be collected,
even on your own or
another’s private property,

without first consulting with
the Michigan Department of
Natural Resources."

From what I could find club moss, alpine club moss, fir club moss, mountin-fir club moss, apperssed moss and bladderworts are listed as endangered. i tried to find sundews on the list but didn't.

I'm sorry, but could you repeat the last 2 sentences for me? Sounded like you said sundews and sphagnum moss weren't on the threatened or endangered list. :scratch: Thus making it okay to collect them both on private property. God I love being right..
If any of you haters wish to apologize, feel free to do it in a PM. I wouldn't want to make you look bad (like you tried to do to me)..

There are about 30 species of Sphagnum moss that are classified as rare or endangered in North America, including Sphagnum nitidum - a red species.

There are about 30 species of Sphagnum moss that are classified as rare or endangered in North America, including Sphagnum nitidum - a red species.

Including S. rubellum... Aren't most red species endangered? I recall that lfs harvesters can collect sphagnum in general if they're "trying" to get the least concern ones, but they're not allowed to take the endangered ones (or the endangered cps, of course) on purpose.

Meaning it would have been legit for you in that case to have collected the green, non-endangered ones with permission from the owner, but taking the red only is a grey area.

Edit:
Were not talking about North America.. Were talking about Michigan specifically. Your radar is too broad..

Did you know that Michigan is in north America?:crazy:

Last edited:

... I give up. :rolleyes:

Aren't most red species endangered?

Is that documented or speculation. You need to be sure in this thread, or you'll never hear then end of it..

... I give up. :rolleyes:

Is that documented or speculation. You need to be sure in this thread, or you'll never hear then end of it..

I'll be continuing my research on this, i was checking the Michigan list, I hadn't started on the federal one yet. Thought i said that earlier, if not i apologize for raising any false hopes.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I was also able to find the citation for this, but I was only able to find state by state restrictions on collecting it. So, for now I would suggest staying far away from any club moss-what do you collect for the pet store? And be extra sure you are not collecting any bladderworts by accident.

Thought i said that earlier, if not i apologize for raising any false hopes.

You did not.. apology accepted and not necessary.

What do you collect for the pet store? And be extra sure you are not collecting any bladderworts by accident.

I'm not at liberty to say.. Nothing special though. I haven't seen a single CP when and where I collect. The only time I've seen a CP associated with this moss is a week or two after it's been under my grow lights. I haven't even seen anything in or near the bog itself. And everything I have collected is as gone as Elvis. For those of you that got some, enjoy! The remaining trades will be shipped as agreed. I am a man of my word!!
I'm sick of being the center of moral attacks, this and that. Blah blah blah.. With that being said, I am now going to bow out of my own thread for good. Bah Bye..

Can someone please close this thread, seeing as its intent has been fulfilled and this is just going to go on and on. this is just like a timmy thread at this point.

I'm sick of being the center of moral attacks, this and that. Blah blah blah.. With that being said, I am now going to bow out of my own thread for good. Bah Bye..

Mods: Please Close Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back