User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Give Away

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My favorite book? How can I pick a single one?"

So I can't say this is my favorite... But a book that has inspired me and given me countless "Ohh, so THAT'S how that works" moments is Natures building blocks by John Emsley. It's a brilliantly well done list of the elements with pages of history, economic usage, and interesting facts, and of course the chemistry explained in such intricate detail and yet simple enough for most people to understand. I particularly like the "elements of surprise" paragraph of each element... For each one I learned something completely new.

This book was what got me into chemistry and thinking about how the world works. It's what also lead me to interest in biology and physics, because at some point in the book I realized that all of the topics were connected. Knowing one would help you understand the other. I originally borrowed this book from my chem teacher, but it got so beaten up I ended up buying him another copy on amazon. I read all 600 pages in order and plan to do it again because I know more about the subject now and will be able to understand more. So it might not be an interesting fiction book, which I do enjoy, but it will make you think. And think and think and then eventually you will try to APPLY what you learned.

I start and just can't stop! ... Talking, that is.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it comes down to Gulliver's Travels or Candide. While the latter has the ultimate sarcastic criticism of dogma and religion that needs to get said every couple hundred years (and I've read it in its French and English I thought it was so great), the former ridiculously exposes medieval European xenophobia at its finest and is the quintessential depressive analysis of human societies imho (which I love, being Slavic in origin). Ultimately, Gulliver's Travels *wins* for me! Candide is just a little too ridiculous (nose being created to hold up glasses and all...), but still a great read. Mind you, I will always save a little room in my heart for Plato's collected works .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite all-time book is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I've read it innumerable times. For me it's a classic novel of a man's search for meaning in life and the understanding of himself and the knowlege of how to live in a world of suffering and make peace with it.

I won't post my growlist because it is tiny, but I've got at least one of most types of CP. So far the neps and dews are my favorite. I would love to have a hybrid nep. So far I only have a sang and a ventricosa.

Thanks for the consideration!

Seth
    Last edited by FlyedPiper; 07-15-2010 at 09:38 PM.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As dated as it is, mine would have to be "Catch 22". It still has such a strong ring of truth about someone being driven to desperate measures trying to fight illogical rules set up by the goverment. It has spawned a phrase used by millions of people who don't know the origin yet understand the meaning.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illusions- by Richard Bach..

I also like the "Life of Pi".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to kill a mockingbird

i liked how the seemingly peaceful town was torn apart by a murder, racism, and cruel rumors all around the time of the trial. and how the mystery of big bad boo radly is depicted through a 11 year olds eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, by Richard Dawkins

I am petrified by the percentage of Americans who don't believe in evolution (around 50% depending on the survey). That opposing views to evolution can only progress their ideas politically says much about their scientific merit. The existence of this book gives me some comfort.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dictionary
    most useful book in my life as it tells me spellings, definitions and pronunciation of words I do know or can't recall. has served to end many a disagreement about words in the English language
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast