Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Super 5-Variety Unlimited SASE+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I'll go ahead and put it out there, in case any were wondering, that within six weeks of sowing my seeds, ALL five varieties I received from SDCPs sprouted in various numbers. The filiformis had the lowest germination rate, but then again, there may be plenty still waiting to sprout!

These are some good seeds, folks - get 'em while they're hot.
    That I am very glad to hear. I hope some of those filliformis seeds are just slow...they sprout well for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thick layer of algae in the pot may have something to do with it too my next batch will definitely be sown in sterilized media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to rinse your peat to get rid of excess nutrients. Don't ask me how...but a hint would be to leave some outside for the rain to wash, then microwave it to sterilize. This prevents algae and mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I'll go ahead and put it out there, in case any were wondering, that within six weeks of sowing my seeds, ALL five varieties I received from SDCPs sprouted in various numbers. The filiformis had the lowest germination rate, but then again, there may be plenty still waiting to sprout!

These are some good seeds, folks - get 'em while they're hot.
    Can I just ask what media you sowed them in? And did you rinse/sterilize or anything?

Thanks! I just want to make sure I have the highest chance of success possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Has anybody germinated their seed successfully thus far? If so, I'd really like to see some pics and hear about your success!

Or are most of you saving your seed until spring?

Right now, seeds that I harvested in mid summer are sprouting: D. indica and D.filliformis.

Not many of them, but a few. I'm sure the numbers will increase. I can't prevent seeds sprouting in the parents' pots.
    Hi, I have a pic to share. Is this what I think it is?! I checked up on my pot today and was about to toss them thinking I messed up something so they wouldn't grow, but I saw one of my pots had green fuzz on it, upon taking a closer look...

Unfortunately, I was stupid and didn't write down which seed was in that pot, and I dunno what is in my other pot either, but they are two different ones for sure. Both were planted on 09/12/2010. I don't even remember what I planted them in, I think it was a little bit of peat moss, little bit of coir, a little bit of perlite, and a little bit of long fiber spaghum moss.

It's definitely either D. venusta or D. indica "PPF".

Here is the picture of the only pot with babies. I'll give my other seedlingless pot another month or two before I try again. The seeds were so tiny, I wasn't able to put enough space between them, so I basically just dumped some of the seeds from whatever envelope they came from, and save the rest for later should I mess up.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-05-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very rosette-seedling-y to me, so I'm going with D. venusta on those sprouts. And, according to this thread, D. indica seems to be notoriously difficult to germinate, in that it can take a very long time, so definitely don't give up on that other pot just yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm with Reaper - I'm no expert, but if given the choice between D. venusta and D. indica, I'd go with venusta. They don't look pointy enough to be indica seedlings. I see some carnivorous leaves on a few of them already - maybe wait a week or so and then give them their first meal? They'll really take off after that.

Reaper - so to be more accurate, it's probably been more like 7 or 8 weeks since I sowed my seeds based on the date of my original post here (10/6... and add a week or 10 days to receive the seeds. Should have dated the pots!). I, being the newbie that I am, sowed them in just about the worst media imaginable. It's basically 4 parts unwashed peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite (), 1 part Mosser Lee Desert Sand, and 1 part Hoffman Western Desert Sand. The Hoffman sand is very coarse... certainly not ideal for CP growing. Also, it failed the white vinegar test which I forgot to perform before I mixed the media and sowed the seeds! D'oh. So turns out there's an abundance of carbonate minerals in my soil. Anyway, not rinsing the peat allowed copious quantities of algae to form. But in spite of all of that, at least a handful of each seed variety have germinated.

Last night I sowed a little more seed in 50/50 peat and Mosser Lee Desert Sand. I had treated the peat with bleach and boiling water (don't worry, no adverse effects on my plants or seeds - seems to have worked like a charm). Over a month later, there's still no sign of any algae in my pots with this media in it, so I expect higher germination rates this time because the seeds won't be suffocated and starved of light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay cool!! I'll go with D. venusta too then. I'll give the D. indica more time too, hopefully they will pop out and greet me one day!

Also, I'm new to seedlings, so what kind of food can I give them? The smallest bug I can find are them fruitflies at Petco, which are probably too big and strong for these babies. Maybe bloodworm, fish food, very diluted drop of ferts, or...??

Also, was I suppose to sterilize the soil?

Thanks!