Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Super 5-Variety Unlimited SASE+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use freeze dried blood worms. I pulverize them into a fine powder and put a very light dusting on the leaves of the seedlings, followed by a very brief spritz with a mister to hydrate them. I then usually repeat every few weeks. Careful not to add too much or you'll risk burying your seedlings or creating a big stinking rotting puddle in your pot!

As far as sterilizing the media goes - I certainly wouldn't recommend using bleach like I did. As many here at TF will come to know, overkill is my middle name. The brand of peat I use (Hoffman - it's the only thing I can get my hands on in NYC) seems to be especially prone to algae and mold growth. What probably would have worked just as well is boiling the stuff or even just rinsing it thoroughly, several times. But yet, I'd say some effort to clean your media would be a good idea especially for seedlings that might be smothered by algae growth. Without clean media, you'll end up with something like this:

That's my pot with SDCPs' D. venusta seeds in it. There are definitely seedlings in there... but I'm positive that plenty more would have sprouted had it not been for all that gooey algae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geez that algea looks like a pain. How long for it to develop, i sowed mine in a mix of 1 part peat 1 pard dried moss and 1 part perlite. Its been a week and no algea i hope i dont get ne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took about a month for it to get that bad, but I saw signs of it after two weeks or so.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Hey SDCPs - sorry to hijack your SASE thread here. If anyone wants to ask or comment about impure media and how to sterilize it, please feel free to continue the discussion in the thread I created a while back about my sterilization adventures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eden Marel,

My vote is also that your sundew babies are Drosera venusta, which is said to by synonymous with Drosera natalensis.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, D. venusta it is then!

I'll try powdering some fish food, I'm really allergic to Blood Worms, and freeze dried ones really are too dust which is why I use the frozen kind for my fish. Excited!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D. indica, I have only one plant, but it is doing great. Good growth rate.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - the second part of two part species names is always written in lower case
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! So much activity in such a short space of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
    Hi, I have a pic to share. Is this what I think it is?! I checked up on my pot today and was about to toss them thinking I messed up something so they wouldn't grow, but I saw one of my pots had green fuzz on it, upon taking a closer look...

Unfortunately, I was stupid and didn't write down which seed was in that pot, and I dunno what is in my other pot either, but they are two different ones for sure. Both were planted on 09/12/2010. I don't even remember what I planted them in, I think it was a little bit of peat moss, little bit of coir, a little bit of perlite, and a little bit of long fiber spaghum moss.

It's definitely either D. venusta or D. indica "PPF".
    Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    [/COLOR]Hey SDCPs - sorry to hijack your SASE thread here. If anyone wants to ask or comment about impure media and how to sterilize it, please feel free to continue the discussion in the thread I created a while back about my sterilization adventures.
    No problem at all! Related discussion welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Eden Marel,

My vote is also that your sundew babies are Drosera venusta, which is said to by synonymous with Drosera natalensis.
    Contrary to whatever it may be assigned to, I disagree. Just like there are many forms of D. indica that should probably be given different species status, or subspecies status. "D. venusta" is really unlike any typical D. natalensis I have ever seen...in appearances at least.

Why do folks insist on grouping the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
    Cool, D. venusta it is then!

I'll try powdering some fish food, I'm really allergic to Blood Worms, and freeze dried ones really are too dust which is why I use the frozen kind for my fish. Excited!!
    Yeah. Use fish food!

Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    The D. indica, I have only one plant, but it is doing great. Good growth rate.
    Well, congrats on the one. Keep it drier than most of your CPs of it won't be too happy...important for adults at least. Never let it dry out though.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seed arrived today, thank you so much. Also I have grown both D. venusta and D. natalensis and I agree. These are not the same plant. grown under the same conditions they do not appear to be the same.

Wow, what a difference lights can make. I went with the T12 HO 60 watt (2 banks of 2) and the plants that I received green are turning red with in a day.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.