Likes Likes:  0
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Super 5-Variety Unlimited SASE+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    The seed arrived today, thank you so much. Also I have grown both D. venusta and D. natalensis and I agree. These are not the same plant. grown under the same conditions they do not appear to be the same.

Wow, what a difference lights can make. I went with the T12 HO 60 watt (2 banks of 2) and the plants that I received green are turning red with in a day.
    Sounds a bit too fast. Don't burn them!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize, I should have elaborated a little more when I mentioned what I'd heard about D. venusta being a synonym for D. natalensis and BTW I also heard it was a synonym for D. coccicaulis, too. At various times I've grown plants known by all three of these names. Those I knew as D. natalensis, certainly appeared, to me, to be distinct from D. venusta. However, I can say that D. coccicaulis and D. venusta do appear to be the same (or, at least quite similar). Of course, even if they are all taxonomically the same species, one or both could be registered as cultivars, describing their particular defining and distinctive characteristics. But I don't have any problem growing them under the names most of us have already been using.

As has been mentioned to me, several times, the taxonomy of the South Aftican Drosera, can, quite certainly use some more in depth work. There is quite likely some introgressive hybridization taking place in the wild populations, somewhat blurring distinctions between species. Possibly part of the natural mechanism whereby new species come about.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the obesrvations Joseph! I agree; there certainly is work to be done with the SA Drosera. I realize you were not insisting that D. venusta is the same as D. natalensis. Those who do, beware lest ye kindle me wrath!

Seed is still available! But my stock is certainly shrinking

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Mr. Clemens,

I certainly appreciate your attention to detail! You seem to edit many posts when we ignorant members make nomenclature mistakes. I just wanted to let you know that I see that as not fun nor easy and am grateful to you You are a great moderator!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My letter with SASE enclosed, is on its way.
    - - - - - - - -
    I have some of those O. C. D.-like behaviors and spent most of my time in the workforce, writing and editing various documents in the military. Small written errors could sometimes cost people their lives, so I learned to be precise when dealing with written documents.

Mostly I think how important it is to be as accurate as possible with the names of our beloved plants, newbies are coming here frequently and I think it important not to confuse and/or frustrate them as they try to learn about CP. If we give our plants nicknames, or abbreviate them with non-standard abbreviations, the new aspiring growers could easily be frustrated trying to understand which plant(s) are being discussed as they try to learn how to grow them.

And they too may be misled about correct nomenclature - multiplying the errors, possibly stimulating additional confusion.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-06-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    My letter with SASE enclosed, is on its way.
    - - - - - - - -
    I have some of those O. C. D.-like behaviors and spent most of my time in the workforce, writing and editing various documents in the military. Small written errors could sometimes cost people their lives, so I learned to be precise when dealing with written documents.

Mostly I think how important it is to be as accurate as possible with the names of our beloved plants, newbies are coming here frequently and I think it important not to confuse and/or frustrate them as they try to learn about CP. If we give our plants nicknames, or abbreviate them with non-standard abbreviations, the new aspiring growers could easily be frustrated trying to understand which plant(s) are being discussed as they try to learn how to grow them.

And they too may be misled about correct nomenclature - multiplying the errors, possibly stimulating additional confusion.
    I agree completely. I try my best to use proper nomenclature, but being a newb, I'm sure I still make mistakes. Nomenclature is a pretty deep subject, too, so there's a lot to learn. Like is it actually ssp. for plants? I thought I read somewhere it's something different. o.O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news!, received SASEs from:

• Rball0406
    • Joseph Clemens
    • allenphoon

You may notice that the SASE says "USA only" but I will accept them from other countries on certain conditions.

Allenphoon, please post what you want so I can send it your way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine today! Thanks!

Here's what I did, in case I have success.

I took four of those plastic trays your grocery store's bakery typically puts things like croissants in (like this; square, about one square foot). I used 50/50 peat/perlite, rinsed everything really well, then nuked the media in the microwave for two minutes (at about an inch deep). Let the media cool, then put it into the trays about an inch to an inch and a half deep; one tray per species. Made sure the media was nice and damp, sprinkled the seed on the media, closed the lids, then put the trays in my rack. We'll see how it goes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reaper I think you may have just solved some of my problems forever.