What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i just thought i'd post an appreciation photo for ya SD!

these are my drosera venusta seeds i got from you when this thread first opened

IMG_5421.jpg

i just thought i'd post an appreciation photo for ya SD!

these are my drosera venusta seeds i got from you when this thread first opened

IMG_5421.jpg

How kind of you :-D

I, too, have a few seedgrown D. venusta, but it happened by accident, and they are not nearly as numerous as yours. Slow growers they are, but very nice!

Your plants look awesome :boogie:

they do seem to grow a bit slow and their "action" seems to be a bit slow compared to my drosera alicea. they dont seem to like folding all the way over onto prey.. but their color totally makes up for all that! :D one of my favorite dews by far. now i need a drosera slakii

I wonder if we have the same D. aliciae...I just read up on them and, well, I thought my particular form was small (got mine from NaN) but it seems they're all like that. Not a Number, thanks again for the seeds! I have scores of plants, have distributed quite a few [plants], and they are flowering en-masse right now! Yes, D. aliciae does curl fast and hard. Given big enough prey, D. venusta will do a pretty good job also. But their color and form does make up for it as you have said. Well said. Tis why it's called the ELEGANT SUNDEW.

Once again, thanks for the pics and the note. Let me know if you acquire D. slakii! :)

they do seem to grow a bit slow and their "action" seems to be a bit slow compared to my drosera alicea. they dont seem to like folding all the way over onto prey.. but their color totally makes up for all that! :D one of my favorite dews by far. now i need a drosera slakii

Friends,

I was just informed today that the D. indica I have been distributing is from Austrailia. Add that location data to yours if you got it from me!!!

I am currently inquiring to see if there it gets any more specific.

Yay for location data!

Thanks!

In other news, my D. filiformis and D. indica are both about 2" tall now while my D. venusta seedlings are still only about a 1/16 of an inch in diameter. ;c

I don't know why they don't like me. They're still alive, just not doing a lot. Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess!

Yay for location data!

Thanks!

In other news, my D. filiformis and D. indica are both about 2" tall now while my D. venusta seedlings are still only about a 1/16 of an inch in diameter. ;c

I don't know why they don't like me. They're still alive, just not doing a lot. Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess!

The smaller sundews usually grow much more slowly...with the exception of annuals. At least D. venusta is a slow grower from seed. Feeding will speed them up...but they're slow growers so no sweat.

You're not doing anything wrong ;)

Yay for location data!

Thanks!

yes, they are slow growers. mine stayed pretty small for a long time until they got to about the size of a quarter. then they started growing real fast (well, faster) my biggest one is about 2 inches across and some are still the size of a quarter. i dont know whats up with that... there is a colony of sugar ants that live in the wall and are attracted to my terrerium. they dont go anywhere else so i let them be (except when i feed them to my sundews, haha). i dont know how good they are for the plants. im gonna start feeding them betta pellets since theyre big enough now

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

one thing i did to feed my sundews while they were still quite small is mix some fish flakes with water into a thick paste and use a sewing needle to pick up tiny tiny bits and set them on the leaves. i think the plants liked it but it never got fully digested and would turn into mold so i stopped doing it until they were quite a bit bigger. so, essentially, i just never feed my plants when theyre small. i just cant find anything that works besides a misting of fertilizer water. and i dont even know how well that works.

sigh... i try at least. and havent killed any so far

Good news! My indicas have just started germinating... Noticed a few, very small seedlings starting to grow... Will post pix in another thread tomorrow...

I had actually sown these at the beginning of March, along with my Sarracenia seeds... Figured that it couldn't hurt... Then I figured that maybe a three-day freezing snap we had in mid-March may have killed the seeds, so I re-sowed the remaining seeds (that I had kept in the refrigerator) into the same pots about 11 days ago...

So, I'm not certain whether these are from the recently sown seeds, or the earlier sown seeds, but one way or another, they're off to the races...

Thanks again!

Good news! My indicas have just started germinating... Noticed a few, very small seedlings starting to grow... Will post pix in another thread tomorrow...

I had actually sown these at the beginning of March, along with my Sarracenia seeds... Figured that it couldn't hurt... Then I figured that maybe a three-day freezing snap we had in mid-March may have killed the seeds, so I re-sowed the remaining seeds (that I had kept in the refrigerator) into the same pots about 11 days ago...

So, I'm not certain whether these are from the recently sown seeds, or the earlier sown seeds, but one way or another, they're off to the races...

Thanks again!

Excellent! The plants will do well for you. Once they germinate, It's almost impossible to stop them if they're outside!

BTW, friends,

The d. indica I've been distributing is a scented form. It has small glands at the base of the leaf that emit a honey-like scent that is much stronger than Drosophyllum.

Ivan Snyder confirmed this at a LACPS meet.

So if you got seeds from me this is something else you may want to note about them.

Back