What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

@ Reaper...it takes time to figure out what works for you. I finally did. A 13W bulb, plastic bags, mylar, and plastic containers is all I need to have unlimited germination success...so far at least. Well, I do need electricity, unless I germinate outside.
Guess I spoke too soon... one of the trays has some sprouts in it! I am suspicious I wasn't keeping them wet enough, actually. o_O

Guess I spoke too soon... one of the trays has some sprouts in it! I am suspicious I wasn't keeping them wet enough, actually. o_O

HOORAY! :boogie:

There's a fine line between not wet enough just right, and too wet. I'm glad we can adjust things along the way!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Received:

PaulJ69
nshipe
Yinepu--thanks for the pads! You'll get some more varieties of seed in return!

Mine sprouted about a week ago.

I was very pleased. My first attempt and every species is sprouting for me.

Last edited:
i received the seeds today and they came in great condition. I am very excited to plant them!
thank you so much again for this oppurtunity !
:-D

Ah, friends: the giveaway is over. Yes, I did run out of 2 varieties of seed. D. venusta and filiformis "FL Red". The indica was going strong, but alba capensis numbers were also decreasing.

So, in order to avoid a huge mess-up with people not getting the seed they put down, I have closed the SASE+ with the obvious drawback of just missing the start of February.

So please, if you've got photos or questions you want me to see/answer, I'd be happy to! Its always a pleasure to watch dews grow strong from small seeds.

Thanks to everybody who participated in this AWESOME giveaway :boogie:

Thanks for putting together such an AWESOME giveaway!

Dude, seriously that rocked. Thanks a ton.

UPDate:

The first group of seeds that I got are starting to sprout I have two pots that are turning green with the D. indica "PPF" and my first round of D. filiformis "FL RD" are starting to come up, just little whispy little starts above the soil. Thank you so much for all the seeds. I cant wait to watch the rest of the little plants come up and grow.

YAY!! Got my seeds today!
Any hints for successful germination?

Got my seeds today! Thanks again, and hopefully I can make them sprout.

I'm glad you guys are having so much success!

I wanted to let Obsidian know that I've got the SASE.

Received redNANA's SASE+ today.

Got my seeds! WOOT!

Got my seeds! Thanks again.

Need any advice? :)

Sure! I've never grown any carnivorous plants from seed before. I'm planning to sow on straight milled sphaghum peat, sprinkle the seeds on the top, lightly spray with RO water so it's moist, cover with plastic and then put the tray on my warmer light stand. How does that sound? BTW, my warmer light stand is not that warm since I'm in northern Illinois....probably 65-68 during the day.

Seed_________# of Lots
D. indica "PPF" ..............0
D. filiformis "FL RD" ........0
D. natalensis/dielsiana......1
D. venusta ...................0
D. capensis ...................1
D. capensis ‘Albino’.........1

Total: ..........................3

Thank you very much for being so generous!

Sure! I've never grown any carnivorous plants from seed before. I'm planning to sow on straight milled sphaghum peat, sprinkle the seeds on the top, lightly spray with RO water so it's moist, cover with plastic and then put the tray on my warmer light stand. How does that sound? BTW, my warmer light stand is not that warm since I'm in northern Illinois....probably 65-68 during the day.

Your seed request shows that you received D. capensis and D. natalensis seed. The capensis seed (You have those two packs of each. Only sow one, save the other just in case.) will sprout very easily given proper conditions. The D. natalensis is slower, but should follow. If you want, you can refrigerate the D. natalensis and spare D. capensis, but I'd suggest sowing all but the spare packs immediately.

Personally, I would sow on a mixture of 1:1 sand : peat. It is better than pure peat but will work. If possible, wash the peat and/or spray with a fungacide (surface only) to minimize algae.

First off, you want to moisten the media before sowing the seed. Get evenly moist, maybe very slightly wet. Drain off excess water. Pat the surface down by hand to get an even sowing section. Open a packet over the pot, spray with fungacide or water, and place in bag and toss in rack as you've said.

The seeds will not germinate quickly due to your low temperatures, but they will eventually germinate.

Do you have any other questions? I recommend Physan 20 as a fungacide.

I'm sorry, but I was reading the entrance part and I don't quite understand. Is this SASE over?

I'm sorry, but I was reading the entrance part and I don't quite understand. Is this SASE over?

Yes, it is. If you want any of those seed varieties from me, you're going to have to work something else out :(

Back