What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My letter with SASE enclosed, is on its way.
- - - - - - - -
I have some of those O. C. D.-like behaviors and spent most of my time in the workforce, writing and editing various documents in the military. Small written errors could sometimes cost people their lives, so I learned to be precise when dealing with written documents.

Mostly I think how important it is to be as accurate as possible with the names of our beloved plants, newbies are coming here frequently and I think it important not to confuse and/or frustrate them as they try to learn about CP. If we give our plants nicknames, or abbreviate them with non-standard abbreviations, the new aspiring growers could easily be frustrated trying to understand which plant(s) are being discussed as they try to learn how to grow them.

And they too may be misled about correct nomenclature - multiplying the errors, possibly stimulating additional confusion.
I agree completely. I try my best to use proper nomenclature, but being a newb, I'm sure I still make mistakes. Nomenclature is a pretty deep subject, too, so there's a lot to learn. Like is it actually ssp. for plants? I thought I read somewhere it's something different. o_O

Good news!, received SASEs from:

• Rball0406
  • Joseph Clemens
  • allenphoon

You may notice that the SASE says "USA only" but I will accept them from other countries on certain conditions.

Allenphoon, please post what you want so I can send it your way ;)

Got mine today! Thanks!

Here's what I did, in case I have success.

I took four of those plastic trays your grocery store's bakery typically puts things like croissants in (like this; square, about one square foot). I used 50/50 peat/perlite, rinsed everything really well, then nuked the media in the microwave for two minutes (at about an inch deep). Let the media cool, then put it into the trays about an inch to an inch and a half deep; one tray per species. Made sure the media was nice and damp, sprinkled the seed on the media, closed the lids, then put the trays in my rack. We'll see how it goes!

Reaper I think you may have just solved some of my problems forever.

Seed_________# of Lots

D. indica "PPF" .........1
D. filiformis "FL RD" ...1
D. venusta ..............0
D. capensis ..............0
D. capensis ‘Albino’ ......1

Total: .....................3

Will PM you

Speaking of you, I got your crazy SASE today.

You guys are going CRAZY now! Spending like 3x+ more on postage than neccesary and...these elaborate setups!

But, your effort is rewarded in that the seeds are safer.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Got mine today! Thanks!

Here's what I did, in case I have success.

I took four of those plastic trays your grocery store's bakery typically puts things like croissants in (like this; square, about one square foot). I used 50/50 peat/perlite, rinsed everything really well, then nuked the media in the microwave for two minutes (at about an inch deep). Let the media cool, then put it into the trays about an inch to an inch and a half deep; one tray per species. Made sure the media was nice and damp, sprinkled the seed on the media, closed the lids, then put the trays in my rack. We'll see how it goes!

Knowing you, you're bound to have success :-))

LOL, that's great, but how so?

Knowing you, you're bound to have success :-))
What's that supposed to mean?! Huh!? If I don't watch it, I'm going to start being known as Captain Overkill around here. ;c

Also, I took the trays out of the rack (it was getting too cold in there; good for highlanders, not so much for seeds) and put them in a room where it's something like 75 degrees and catches a good amount of indirect light from an east-facing window. Once they (hopefully) germinate, they'll go back into the rack for the light.

Seed received. Plan to sow tonight in 2" square pots on the surface of a 1/4" layer of thoroughly rinsed black sand. Makes it very easy to see the seedlings as soon as they begin to emerge from the seed coat.

What's that supposed to mean?! Huh!?.

It means that you do things intelligently and properly. Just like you did everything, at least the rinsing and sterilizing, that I would have done...or maybe did a bit more than I would have done.

Take it as a compliment :)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Seed received. Plan to sow tonight in 2" square pots on the surface of a 1/4" layer of thoroughly rinsed black sand. Makes it very easy to see the seedlings as soon as they begin to emerge from the seed coat.

If that works ??? I have never heard of that approach before...even though I do have alot of naturally black sand laying around. Tell us how it goes!

The only reason I wonder is some of those plants might like an acidic media...probably no problem with the D. indica though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the black sand topping quite usually when I'm sowing seed. It has worked very well. It makes a nice contrast between the newly emerging seedlings and the black sand. I germinate under fluorescent lighting - I would probably be apprehensive in using it if I were germinating under natural light (the sand might get too hot for the seedlings).

I use the black sand topping quite usually when I'm sowing seed. It has worked very well. It makes a nice contrast between the newly emerging seedlings and the black sand. I germinate under fluorescent lighting - I would probably be apprehensive in using it if I were germinating under natural light (the sand might get too hot for the seedlings).

Wow! That's very interesting. I also use a black media. It is mostly composed of peat....I never really thought about it, But the media is black just the same!

The woman at the post office is the one who put so many stamps on, All I had to do with it was the 5 stamps inside.

It means that you do things intelligently and properly. Just like you did everything, at least the rinsing and sterilizing, that I would have done...or maybe did a bit more than I would have done.

Take it as a compliment :)
The rinsing and sterilizing is something I picked up from you, in all actuality. ^.~

But I did take it as a compliment. Thanks! I just hope they germinate and do well here. I'd always loved the forks, especially, but was apprehensive about them because they don't do well in the long run under grow lights due to their height and I'm scared of my weather here for CPs, but I'm definitely giving lots of CPs a try outside next spring, so I'll be a very happy camper once they germinate so I can see how well they do here. It just gets so hot during the summer and the sun is so intense at such a high altitude. We'll see!

Thanks again for the SASE, I really appreciate the opportunity to try these. And your little seed packets are brilliantly simple. ^.^

Thank You

Seed_________# of Lots

D. indica "PPF" .........2
D. filiformis "FL RD" ...2
D. venusta ..............1
D. capensis ..............0
D. capensis ‘Albino’ ...1

Total: .....................6

Everything sprouted this time! Thanks Ian!

These grew from the D. capensis "alba" seeds you sent me a few months ago (that's a four inch pot, btw):
155259_474694571774_654101774_5903436_6671013_n.jpg

The woman at the post office is the one who put so many stamps on, All I had to do with it was the 5 stamps inside.

LOL!

your little seed packets are brilliantly simple. ^.^

You're the first one to tell me something good about my seed packs. Yes, they are simple...which enables me to make alot of them! I work like a machine when packing seed.

These grew from the D. capensis "alba" seeds you sent me a few months ago (that's a four inch pot, btw):

Those are so very lovely! All your CPs seem to be doing so well in that tropical heaven of yours (the terrarium thing, not your location)

I received someone's SASE. Have no clue whose. Initials: S. H.

It was not done correctly, slip of paper ONLY included my address. Also a Chase envelope was provided to return the seed...I'm not sure if one can do that.

The rules were clearly laid down, were they not?

You're the first one to tell me something good about my seed packs.
No complaints here. All seeds were fine. Nice way to send without bubble wrap:).

No complaints here. All seeds were fine. Nice way to send without bubble wrap:).

Not to say they aren't! They're just so ordinary and plain that nobody even mentiones them...unless they have a problem.

Four months?! HOW did they grow up so quickly? I sprouted some typical capensis from seed in like April and they're only now about the size of a nickle. Light and food I guess?

Back