What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare Trapa Bicornis For Trade

Whoo Hoo

Just got a bunch of fresh Trapa Bicornis / Water Caltrop
AKA: Bat Or Demon Head Seeds

Will trade in lots of 12
Would like to trade for Neps / Plants or Rooted Cuttings Not on my grow list or feel free to tempt me
{High Landers ONLY}

LMK what you have & how many Lots you would like for it if you're interested in some

Trapa Bicornis is an aquatic plant similar to a Chinese Water Chestnut
That makes an awesome looking nut that looks like a bat or demon head

Photo of stages of growth from nut to full plant~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/574956363wgMRNe

I can only get these Once a Year & they have to be kept in water to stay viable
The problem is they sprout & start growing once in water & they're kind of hard to safely pack once they reach a certain size without the risk of breaking them
So trades would need to be made within the next week or two

Feel free to email me if you have any questions

Thanx
DC
dethcheez@aol.com

What lovely plants! I sadly have nothing to trade.

Huh, so is it a planted fish tank type of thing or pond? I have a 30 gallon, decent lighting but c02 is on and off (DIY).
Andrew

WOW I'd sure love to make a necklace pendant out of one of those seeds! Arcane! If you have some well shaped non-viable ones you plan to throw out I'd be interested in the cast offs.

How big does the plant get, on google it looks like they make surface floaty leaves like a water lily? I have some vivariums with water features for vampire crabs but an Anubias nana or Cryptocoryne wendtii both growing roots/stems underwater with leaves out is about perfect so that's the size pools I'm working with. LOL

Last edited:
Huh, so is it a planted fish tank type of thing or pond? I have a 30 gallon, decent lighting but c02 is on and off (DIY).
Andrew

I guess technically it's a pond plant

I've grown some indoors on a window sill in empty 2lt bottles so I could watch them grow
But they out grow that pretty fast
Last year I grew them outside in an aquarium

I would think that they would probably do ok in a planted aquarium
But I'm not sure if the leaves are poisonous or not if you have fish
I know the nut itself is poisonous raw
They are eatable but have to be cooked / They teste kind of like a sweat chestnut
But I have no idea about the rest of the plant???

DC

That is a crazy plant, can't say I have ever heard of it. I'm with swords though, those are absolutely wicked seeds. I would love to make jewelry out them.

How often/many seeds does a plant produce after how long? what climate do they originate from? Temperate? Tropical?

I googled em, these seeds are used in Voodou and other talismanic magic as wards against evil, also used in dark magic as loci for a magician to curse and then hide near the target of a spell!

http://www.herb-magic.com/bat-nut.html

Now I really want to make a necklace of one to keep the evil layoff consultants away from me at work! LOL :D

Not gonna lie, that is seriously the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

definitely the coolest-looking seed I've ever seen. If I were to acquire one, i certainly would not plant it. i would glue it to my front door and hope it keeps the jehovah's witnesses away.

Wow, wish I had some neps to trade with. Those things are really cool.

Open to other CPs {Other than Sundews} & other non CP plants

Fused Tooth VFT
VooDoo Lilies
Skunk Cabbage
Weird Odd Bizarre Plants
???
Feel Free To Temp Me Tempt Me

Thanx
DC

Back