What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Reptillian Rose

I am looking for Sarracenia Reptillian Rose.

Hopefully you're aware that this plant and 'Adrian Slack' are two of the most-desired Sarr hybrids out there. Here's one conversation for your reading pleasure ... :-O

Maybe I am just being dense... but I don't find those plants to be very interesting... they still just look like Sarracenia???

Eh, it's just personal appeal- don't feel all....dense and shruggy. It's cool ;D
I will note that it has massive lids and very nice color, but apparently the big deal is that they smell like real roses, if the other thread is correct. I dunno. I want it for it's name. Anything reptile/snake related is an automatic "must have" for me >.>
It's pretty too, so it's all good :-O

It is very pretty. :) The actual pitchers smell like roses? I read that thread but I thought that they were talking about the flowers. That would be totally wild if the pitchers smelled like that, but STILL all the more reason why it should be more widely available to get ALL future Sarr hybrids smelling like roses. Neato, but I would never spend 130 dollars on a Sarracenia, UNLESS it had some kind of active trap. Or smelled like roses. Wait a second.....

Yes that plant was the real deal and yes the traps do smell like real roses it is an amazing plant one of the best ones in my sarracenia collection

Ditto what Matt said.

If it is widely available then it is not special anymore. Why ruin a plant that special?

If it is widely available then it is not special anymore. Why ruin a plant that special?

What?
If something is widely available then it is NOT special anymore? Making it available to growers "ruins" it? HUH?
I don't understand that sort of outlook or thinking. ???
So what you are implying, is that only those growers with a lot of money to throw around, is what makes them worthy of growing a specific plant?! :crazy:
Or perhaps only if a person knows another grower personally, who has some rare plant to sell/trade/ or give, THAT is what makes them worthy of getting a specific plant? :scratch:
What of the growers who live near no one, and who don't know anyone. Are they less worthy? Heck, they could be the next grower/breeder who develops the next hybrid/grex with unique and highly desirable traits in a specific plant! :eek:

And also that if a plant is widely available, then it isn't "special".... does that mean "worth growing" or enjoying? What do you mean "special"?

Wow! Interesting outlook you have there. One I can't really share a lot with. :glare:

How about we limit certain plants to only those growers who have grown CP's for 10 or more years, showing their dedication to the hobby? How about 20+ years? 30?
Where do you draw the line?
To me, even a nicely grown common VFT is special!
In fact to me, that is what makes a plant special. When it is well cared for... as it shows!

I totally agree with you GrowinOld, it's just pure greed speaking when a grower says that a plant should be restrictively cultivated to retain its "specialness". Either that, or the grower just would hate to feel like they were the only one who had to cough up 100+ dollars for a smelly Sarracenia.

It goes completely contrary to the kinship and generosity that so often defines the carnivorous plant hobby!
Death to exclusiveness!
Long live awesome carnivorous plants all over the place!

(but really, all this debate was already to be had over there in that thread that was posted)

I think he means that when a plant becomes common it loses a lot of it's "wonder" or "awesomeness" factor, which I agree with, but only somewhat. For example, D. capensis is incredibly common and easy to grow but it's also one of the nicest looking dews. If it were rare, I can imagine people forking over a lot of money for it. But then again, vfts are awesome and don't cost much... though I guess the really fancy cultivars could be argued against that too.

I only said the plant is not special once it is massively produced. Take a Judith Finn for example, it is very nice plant to and enjoy but someone posted for trade with a hamata; people will laugh at the person because a Judith Finn too common. People can find it anywhere comparing to a hamata. Now if I would post an Ewarsiana for trade, I am sure everyone will be looking and even bother me with multiple PMs. The S. "Tarnok" was once a single mutated clone then it is widely mass produced and it became just a regular sarr. Mind you the word "common" vft mean not special. Even a nicely grown common vft plant will beautiful but won't be special like B52 or the Alba.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Thanks Yawn to clearified.

But that's just the thing.... Sarracenia grow relatively fast, and can be divided easily, flowering and reproducing quickly in comparison to Nepenthes.

Plants that reproduce and spread quickly and easily shouldn't be that valuable, because in order to retain their value growers must purposefully inflate their value.

It's not accurate to compare those plants to a rarer Nepenthes like hamata or edwardsiana, because neither of those plants grow quickly, they neither flower quickly, and they do not take cuttings easily, and they also can't self-reproduce....

So slower growing plants are inherently more valuable because of their difficulty of cultivation, as opposed to Sarracenia, which are fast and prolific in comparison.

A little off subject
What irks me to the enth degree
naming a sarracenia when there are only a few or couple in existence i.e. Belly of Blood , leuc bris only 3 or 4 in the world(,recently named)
Also Lamentations, Vintage Slack and several others that have been named 10+ years ago haven't been available to collector's outside of a very small priveledged trading circle
most of these are are relativly slow growing

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but I am all for mass production of.... Everything. An unlimited supply of cheap plants? Doesn't sound bad to me.

I would love to get this plant. I'll need to save my money for the next NASC auction. I actually ate the smell of roses, but think this plant is physically outstanding. I don't know why it isn't being tissue cultured now ( or is it? Dun dun dun)

Clint

But that's just the thing.... Sarracenia grow relatively fast, and can be divided easily, flowering and reproducing quickly in comparison to Nepenthes.

Plants that reproduce and spread quickly and easily shouldn't be that valuable, because in order to retain their value growers must purposefully inflate their value.

It's not accurate to compare those plants to a rarer Nepenthes like hamata or edwardsiana, because neither of those plants grow quickly, they neither flower quickly, and they do not take cuttings easily, and they also can't self-reproduce....

So slower growing plants are inherently more valuable because of their difficulty of cultivation, as opposed to Sarracenia, which are fast and prolific in comparison.

actually......
hamata grows quite quickly...remember neps grow year around, sarrs. have a time span to grow....some are very slow growers, and would make some Neps look quite fast...
you can flower some species of neps in 3 years from seed, sarracenia, generally not...
neps can self reproduce just like sarracenia, only what we call budding off of the rhizome in sarracenia, we call basals in nepenthes....
cuttings work in nepenthes, but often times you have to completely divide up a sarracenia to go anywhere...only a few sarracenia can be propogated via leaf cuttings (rosea, purpurea, psittacina and some of their hybrids), neps however cannot go through leaf cuttings, this is true...
but 9/10 nepenthes are generally easier to reproduce and keep alive....less pest problems, no dormancy, not as much light required, doesnt need to be kept sopping wet....
IMO, nepenthes are far easier to produce, propogate, and grow out vs sarracenia...

I find that to be pretty interesting that you'd say that Kris.

Of course the ease of growth all depends on the area that you live in. You and I in the Northwest may both agree that providing long hours of sun and mild dormancies for Sarracenia can be difficult, leaving Nepenthes to be simpler to grow.

Of course there are certain attributes of Nepenthes that make them easier like you had stated, and they aren't hard plants to grow, but....

I'd have to stand by my statement that Nepenthes are harder to reproduce, in a genetic sense. Sure you can take all the cuttings and basals you want, but come on Kris, where's all the seed grown hamata? Let me in on this if you have em! :p

Meanwhile, seeds of Sarracenia are flying around in trades and giveaways left and right. It's not very often you see Nepenthes seeds available that aren't either of questionable origin or going for a high value trade or price.

the only difficulties in reproducing nepenthes is finding 2 plants in flower at the same time, but even if you cant find a female/male of the same species, there are hybrid options...seeds on nepenthes ripen relatively quick in comparison to sarracenia, and can flower at any time, multiple times...rather than in spring, ripe seed setting in late fall, and seed then needing a stratification time....

Back