What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grass Pink Orchid (Calopogon) seeds for SASE

I got one seed capsule this year from some Calopogon corms I planted in the spring. I know nothing of growing these things from seed. From what little googling I've done, it appears the best way is via tissue culture. I'm going to try that, as well as sprinkling some in my largest mini-bog, which has a healthy layer of sphagnum growing on it. Anyway, I figured I could part with a small amount of the seeds to someone else willing to try. First to reply can have them, although I am kind of hoping it is someone that knows at least a little about growing them.
From a mass standpoint, you won't get much, but keep in mind that these seeds are extremely tiny and have almost no mass to them. The slightest breeze (or breath, as I found out) will send up a cloud of them.
I'm also unsure of the fragility of these seeds. I will use bubble wrap, but I kind of wonder if that will be enough. Here's a pic of one of the blooms from earlier this summer:
4772299793_331a81b2ff.jpg

I was under the impression you needed mycorrhiza fungi/ orchid mycorrhiza to germinate them. Are there other ways?

I was under the impression you needed mycorrhiza fungi/ orchid mycorrhiza to germinate them. Are there other ways?
I wish I knew! Like I said, everything i've been able to find on google says the best way is tissue culture. I'm hoping I get some to germinate in my mini-bog, but it looks like it'll be an experiment. Sounds like it takes 3-4 years to get to flowering size, from seed.

I don't know about TC orchids at all, but they probably won't germinate in your bog. Orchid seeds don't have any energy reserve like most other plant seeds to start off with and need a source of carbon. I don't know what else might work besides that particular fungus, but they do need some help. Maybe someone who has actually grown from seed can chime in, this is why I've never tried, lol. Good luck with them though!

I'm game to give them a shot.

This is a 1st - I've never been on this end of a SASE giveaway :-O...

mycorrhiza fungi

RL,
If you are on the receiving end on this, you might try some Trichoderma or other mycorrhiza fungi that you may be able to get over the net for not too much $$$. I am not sure if the species is important or specific to the orchid grown, but it is worth a shot to improve your odds at least.

Just a thought.
Good Luck!
:water:

Trichoderma is an ascomycete and from what I know, all orchids form mycorrhizal relationships with basidiomycetes. Not entirely sure how specific the symbiont relationship is between them though.

orchid seeds lack food reserves the symbiotic fungus make it possible for these guys to get going in the beginning. Provides initial carbohydrate source.

So in theory seed scarification and your standard MS tissue culture media with sucrose should make it possible to achieve germination?

I had stellar germination results with basic M&S, sugar, and agar. These were given to me as a Cymbidium hybrid, not sure if it matters. Really don't know anything about orchids as these are my first... Also one of my first attempts at tissue culture too!

I had stellar germination results with basic M&S, sugar, and agar. These were given to me as a Cymbidium hybrid, not sure if it matters. Really don't know anything about orchids as these are my first... Also one of my first attempts at tissue culture too!

Very nice! As far as tc is concerned it doesn't get much easier than that!

Hmmmm - hadn't really planned on this but rumor has it that one of my pics lucked out & won a tissue culture kit over on Matt's forum - should make for a good 1st experiment .... :boogie:

Back