What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not CP Eastern redbud

Eastern redbud (Cercis Canadensis)

I have several of these growing around my house and every spring I get a couple of variegated seedlings. Some of them are so white they don't survive, others barely have any white at all. There are two flowering trees in the area where I see the most of them. If anyone is interested in a SASE let me know. I checked this morning and there were still seed pods on the trees. If folks are interested I’ll break out the ladder this weekend and gather some seeds.

I just googled it and it is VERY pretty. I very much wish I had room for another tree.

Oh I'd love some
but don't want you to put you life in peril jest for me

What she said. ^
I'd love some too, but be careful.

Take care on that ladder

Variegated you say? Count me in too! (If there is enough to go around still.)

Just to be clear the parents are not variegated. But I do find variegated seedlings sometimes.
I gathered some pods off the two most likely sources yesterday.

Brought up some pictures and my wife decided she'd love one of those in the front yard. o_O

Northern Colorado is one classification colder than Ohio, y'think it'd work? If so, I don't even know how to start a tree. Start the seedling indoors late this winter and plant it in spring?

I'm going to close this after ReApEr We are getting down to not enough seeds per person.
I can get more seeds but they will be from trees where I have not seen as many variegated seedlings.

If you don't have it already PM me for my mailing address.

I would not try to start them indoors. I think the seeds need to be stratified. If you can I would get the seeds in the ground this year. Other wise try the damp paper towel in a ziplock int the fridge over winter.

They are native up into Michigan not sure how that compares to Fort Collins. you may need to baby them the first few winters.

Alrighty, then, I guess I'll give it a shot! PM on the way.

Thank you!

WOOOO HOOOO doing a littlehappy dance my seeds are starting o germinate
Thanx again for the oppurtunity to grow these seeds
Lois

Sweet! Are you getting a good germination rate?

So far jest 3 have germinated
hopefully the rest will wait til this cold spell, we're having, passes

Back