What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant Bird-of-Paradise

Hello friends!,

My brother and I have harvested a ton of seed from our genetically different Strelitzia nicolai Another link

These plants become giant! They are very commonly planted around my area, and have quite beautiful flowers. The seeds...they are some of the most ornate I have EVER seen! They are black with a flaming orange tuft.

Anyways, the seed is from two genetically different plants. The tallest of which is IDK how tall, but to the roof of a two story building, so probably close to the maximum height of 20 feet. Seriously, they almost beat our queen palms!

The plants are quite drought tolerant once established. They make a great privacy screen, and add height to your yard.

Seed is here for trade. A bubble envelope will be needed as the seed is the size of green peas.

s_nicolai_seed__aril-283x400.jpg

PM me or post what you have here!

-Ian

That's awesome but, why'd you put the wig on it? I guess it does look good as a redhead.
~Joe

Oh man.... Do you know how to get the seeds to germinate?

My grandmother's estate had one of those growing in the front drive. It was huge, at least a foot in diameter trunk surrounded by massive littler trunks. It got chopped down for some stupid stupid reason. :cry:
I collected some seed from it, but none germinated... I was very young though, and my methods were probably sub-par at best.

I have a very large Bird of Paradise growing in my house and it is so large that it doesn't really have anywhere else to grow. I thought it was one of the lower bushier type of B-o-P but, after looking at those pics and how long it has yet to ever flower from being a small seedling when I first got it, it could be one of those...

That's awesome but, why'd you put the wig on it? I guess it does look good as a redhead.
~Joe

That's how they are! Each seed has a flaming orange tuft of plant matter on the end. The picture I'm showing isn't mine, and my seeds are even hotter, so to speak.

Oh man.... Do you know how to get the seeds to germinate?

My grandmother's estate had one of those growing in the front drive. It was huge, at least a foot in diameter trunk surrounded by massive littler trunks. It got chopped down for some stupid stupid reason. :cry:
I collected some seed from it, but none germinated... I was very young though, and my methods were probably sub-par at best.

I have a very large Bird of Paradise growing in my house and it is so large that it doesn't really have anywhere else to grow. I thought it was one of the lower bushier type of B-o-P but, after looking at those pics and how long it has yet to ever flower from being a small seedling when I first got it, it could be one of those...

Wow! I'm sad about the fall of such a magnificent plant. The plants we have here, 5 total, are comparable in size. They've been growing for many, many years.

No, I don't know how to germinate them. I haven't looked in to it because we have enough as it is ;)

Anybody interested?

I don't exactly have a place to grow them, but I'm interested anyways. XD I've yet to send my SASE for those Drosera seed so maybe we could work out some sort of trade. I have lots of G. hispidula, and will have some nice Nepenthes come springtime, and some Sarracenia you might be interested in.
~Joe

I don't exactly have a place to grow them, but I'm interested anyways. XD I've yet to send my SASE for those Drosera seed so maybe we could work out some sort of trade. I have lots of G. hispidula, and will have some nice Nepenthes come springtime, and some Sarracenia you might be interested in.
~Joe

Since you have lots of g. hispidula and I have none, I would definately be interested in enough to fill a 4" pot if you would be so kind.

I'd also trade some of my CPs for something else. What have you in sarras? Anyway, how many seeds were you looking at?

And yes, a SASE/Trade would be ideal :-D

Only two people interested?

That's a huge plant! The seeds are definitely very interesting. I'd take a few if it wasn't so cold in the winter where I am.

I'm totally interested! Been meaning to get some BoP seeds.
I don't have much, if anything, to trade though.

I'm totally interested! Been meaning to get some BoP seeds.
I don't have much, if anything, to trade though.

There's always Non-biological items. I have a list of those on my grow/trade list.

90 seeds have been distributed. There are several more to go!

Mine arrived today Thanx so much for your generous offering

Mine arrived today Thanx so much for your generous offering

You're very welcome! Thank you for your interest!

--------------------------------

20 more seeds claimed, but I have quite a few more if anybody else is interested!

Back