What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joossa

Aklys
Hi everyone,

I divided my massive S. oreophila “Alabama” today and have a couple extra divisions that I will gift to ONE person.

Here is the clumped plant before dividing:

P2130004.jpg

About this plant:

-I acquired a division of this oreo from a grower in Northern California three years ago.
-The person I got this from had it listed as S. oreophila “Alabama” and described it as being able to turn red in late summer.
-Personally, I have not seen this under my conditions.
-The “Alabama” in its name is not to be confused with location data; it is simply an unregistered cultivar.
-I have found that this plant produces three crops of pitchers throughout the growing season, each one being showier than the last.
-Under my conditions, this plant produces pitchers until mid-fall.

Here are some shots:

P4170021.jpg

P9070006.jpg

PA080004.jpg

Mid-Fall Pitcher:
PB200006.jpg

The offer:

-You will receive the following:
1) 2 individual large, dormant divisions that are flowering size.
2) 1 Large section of rhizome that has no pitchers, but it is completely healthy and has roots. It may produce new growth points on its own, or you can go ahead a notch it if you want to encourage it.

P2130013.jpg

-Available to anyone in the lower 48 US states.
-The divisions will be free.
-The shipping will be free.
-This will be considered a gift.
-I will ship via USPS Priority.
-Everything will be shipped bare-root.
-This in NOT first come, first served.
-If you want a chance to be chosen as the recipient, you must answer the following questions:

1) Currently, do you have any of these Sarracenia and/or any of their forms, varieties, or cultivars in your CP collection?
a) S. oreophila
b) S. alabamensis ssp. alabamensis (S. rubra ssp. alabamensis)
c) S. jonesii (S. rubra ssp. jonesii)

2) If no, have you ever grown any of the above Sarracenia in the past?

3) How long have you grown Sarracenia for?

4) How many Sarracenia do you currently have in your collection?

This offer will remain open for several days... maybe until early Friday. I will then select one person and notify him/her via PM. He/she will then have to provide me with their address so that I can ship. I will post here when a person has been selected.

PM me if you have any questions...

Lastly, I am doing this giveaway because I too, am the beneficiary of a giveaway from a forum member long ago. Keep in mind to be generous whenever you can!

Ready!? GO!

Last edited:
1. i have 7 S. oreophila baby about 4 months old ,1 S. leucophylla that's Flowering, 1 red S. psittacina flowering too,1 S. purpurea,1 S. 'Cobra Nest'
3.i have been growing Sarracenia for like a year
4. i have 11 Sarracenia in total

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh sounds good, looks completely different than either of my two clones... would like to get some more genetic diversity going on should i be able to pollinate them all when they flower... So here we go..

1) I own 2 different clones of S. oreophila, one with no information but came from a good friend of mine, and is one of the best growing Sarracenia in my collection and has been spread to a few other growers as gifts (we will call this clone 1), along with its counterpart which grows to be a couple of feet tall, and has a massive mouth, and heavily veined (will be called clone 2)
... the result of a friend of mines cultivating this species from seed trying to isolate a clone of his own...

2) Does not apply

3) i have been growing Sarracenia for going on 3 1/2 years now...

4) individually, counting multiple clones i have around 75 or more Sarracenia, who knows after this coming up division? :p

Clone 1
P1010121-1.jpg

Clone 1 mother plant
TriptoRons11.jpg

Clone 2
P1010113-1.jpg

Thanks Joossa for this awesome opportunity.

I am a total beginner and would like to participate.

Unfortunately I do not have experience growing any Sarracenia. I am just starting my collection and so far it consists only of D. spatulata mother plant and 3 of it's clones.

The answers:

1) No
2) No
3) Unfortunately have not grown any
4) None (it would be great if that would be my first one)

Thank you.

P.S. Thanks for the edit :)

Last edited:
1) I do not have any endangered Sarracenia. The closest I have is a Sarracenia alata x oreophila.

2) I have never grown an endangered Sarracenia.

3) I have been growing Sarracenia for about 2 years and 9 months.

4) I have about 25 Sarracenia in my collection. At least a third of them are quite large and could be divided up, but I've never bothered with doing divisions.

Thank you joossa for doing such a great giveaway. Just entering a giveaway puts a smile on my face. :cool:

very generous offer!

I would like to have a labeled Sarr...all of mine were purchased at a fair and had no tags:-(

here goes...
1) unknown, probably not
2) unknown, probably not
3) 4+ years
4) 4 types at this time...but I will get more as the season advances and CP sellers become more active.

1) No
A) No
B) No
C) No
2) No
3) About one year
4) 6-8 Sarracenia

P.S. Thanks for this wonderfull giveaway you are so nice to give some people a chance to grow a Sarracenia for the first time or for someone to grow this kind of Sarracenia for the first time thanks once again! Also is this enough info for you or do i need to give you something else?

1) Currently, do you have any of these Sarracenia and/or any of their forms, varieties, or cultivars in your CP collection?
a) S. oreophila CHECK
b) S. alabamensis subsp. alabamensis (S. rubra subsp. alabamensis) Seedlings
c) S. jonesii (S. rubra subsp. jonesii) CHECK

3) I have grown them for about 3 years and have had very good success.

4) I have 20-30 sarracenia in my collection, most are genetically different.

Why would I be interested in this plant? I have a S. oreophila "Sand Mountain" and 2 plants of the same clone in a large bog that I built. If I were to receive this plant, I would replace one of the S. oreophila "Sand Mountain" plants with this plant so I could cross polinate them and get high quality seed.

As a bonus, If I receive this plant, I will give one of the other plants away on this forum to one of the members who has posted in this thread.
Here is a pic of my current specimens:

S_+Oreophylla+_Sand+Mountain_.jpg

1) Yes
a) Yes, about a dozen S. orephila "sand mountain" that I grew from seed
b) Nope
c) nope

2) Nope, just the S. oreophila seedlings

3) 6 years

4) roughly 35 individual plants.

S. oreophila is definitely one of my favorite Sarracenia, and I have pride in the fact that I grow several endangered Sarracenia species. This clone appears to have much more red than my current S. oreophila clone, and I would love to diversify with a different clone!

1) I currently have all 3 plants in my collection.

2) See answer 1

3) 4 years

4) Never counted individual plants, but guessing roughly 30-35,

1) I have one S. oreophila "Sand Mountain".

2) N/A

3) 2 years.

4) I have 15 plants.

I would be honored to be considered for this gift: i have answered the questions below in bold red

a) S. oreophila
b) S. alabamensis subsp. alabamensis (S. rubra subsp. alabamensis)
c) S. jonesii (S. rubra subsp. jonesii) yes
2) If no, have you ever grown any of the above Sarracenia in the past?

3) How long have you grown Sarracenia for? since 2003
4) How many Sarracenia do you currently have in your collection? 18 plants of 14 different varities, I still have a large clump of S. purpurea from the first Sarracenia I ever bought

I agree with some of the previous posters,part of this gift needs to be passed on to others as well. and I would be happy to do so

Excellent giveaway and thanks for sharing the love on an endangered species!

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute - I need to concentrate on raising my Sarracenia oreophila seedlings to maturity before I enter into a giveaway like this.

Greetings!

1) I don't have any of these three...

2) No, I haven't grown any of these yet...

3) About 2 years now...

4) I currently have 12 Sarracenia plants, comprising clones from four different species (purpurea, rosea, leucophylla and psittacina)...

1) Currently I do not have any endangered species

2) no I have not

3) i have grown my current few for about 2 or 3 years now

4) I currently am the proud mother of 3 sarrs and hopefully will order some more this spring

Thanks for this wonderfull offer and congrats to who ever gets this amazing plant :D Good luck

A recipiant has been selected and notified via PM. This offer is now closed.

Thank you all for participating. :)

Congratulations to the secret winner! :boogie: (it wasn't me.)

Congratulations to the secret winner! :boogie: (it wasn't me.)

You win my s. oreophylla "sand mountain" division--if you promise to actively propagate your plants in the future :boogie:

P. S. You should give away a division or two in the future if you can!

Back