Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia oreophila Gift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Sarracenia oreophila Gift

Hi everyone,

I divided my massive S. oreophila “Alabama” today and have a couple extra divisions that I will gift to ONE person.

Here is the clumped plant before dividing:

About this plant:

-I acquired a division of this oreo from a grower in Northern California three years ago.
    -The person I got this from had it listed as S. oreophila “Alabama” and described it as being able to turn red in late summer.
    -Personally, I have not seen this under my conditions.
    -The “Alabama” in its name is not to be confused with location data; it is simply an unregistered cultivar.
    -I have found that this plant produces three crops of pitchers throughout the growing season, each one being showier than the last.
    -Under my conditions, this plant produces pitchers until mid-fall.

Here are some shots:

Mid-Fall Pitcher:

The offer:

-You will receive the following:
    1) 2 individual large, dormant divisions that are flowering size.
    2) 1 Large section of rhizome that has no pitchers, but it is completely healthy and has roots. It may produce new growth points on its own, or you can go ahead a notch it if you want to encourage it.

-Available to anyone in the lower 48 US states.
    -The divisions will be free.
    -The shipping will be free.
    -This will be considered a gift.
    -I will ship via USPS Priority.
    -Everything will be shipped bare-root.
    -This in NOT first come, first served.
    -If you want a chance to be chosen as the recipient, you must answer the following questions:

1) Currently, do you have any of these Sarracenia and/or any of their forms, varieties, or cultivars in your CP collection?
    a) S. oreophila
    b) S. alabamensis ssp. alabamensis (S. rubra ssp. alabamensis)
    c) S. jonesii (S. rubra ssp. jonesii)

2) If no, have you ever grown any of the above Sarracenia in the past?

3) How long have you grown Sarracenia for?

4) How many Sarracenia do you currently have in your collection?

This offer will remain open for several days... maybe until early Friday. I will then select one person and notify him/her via PM. He/she will then have to provide me with their address so that I can ship. I will post here when a person has been selected.

PM me if you have any questions...

Lastly, I am doing this giveaway because I too, am the beneficiary of a giveaway from a forum member long ago. Keep in mind to be generous whenever you can!

Ready!? GO!
    Last edited by joossa; 02-16-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. i have 7 S. oreophila baby about 4 months old ,1 S. leucophylla that's Flowering, 1 red S. psittacina flowering too,1 S. purpurea,1 S. 'Cobra Nest'
    3.i have been growing Sarracenia for like a year
    4. i have 11 Sarracenia in total
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-14-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh sounds good, looks completely different than either of my two clones... would like to get some more genetic diversity going on should i be able to pollinate them all when they flower... So here we go..

1) I own 2 different clones of S. oreophila, one with no information but came from a good friend of mine, and is one of the best growing Sarracenia in my collection and has been spread to a few other growers as gifts (we will call this clone 1), along with its counterpart which grows to be a couple of feet tall, and has a massive mouth, and heavily veined (will be called clone 2)
    ... the result of a friend of mines cultivating this species from seed trying to isolate a clone of his own...

2) Does not apply

3) i have been growing Sarracenia for going on 3 1/2 years now...

4) individually, counting multiple clones i have around 75 or more Sarracenia, who knows after this coming up division? :P

Clone 1
    Clone 1 mother plant
    Clone 2

Thanks Joossa for this awesome opportunity.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-14-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a total beginner and would like to participate.

Unfortunately I do not have experience growing any Sarracenia. I am just starting my collection and so far it consists only of D. spatulata mother plant and 3 of it's clones.

The answers:

1) No
    2) No
    3) Unfortunately have not grown any
    4) None (it would be great if that would be my first one)

Thank you.

P.S. Thanks for the edit
    Last edited by gill_za; 02-15-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - the second part of species names is always written in lower case, only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I do not have any endangered Sarracenia. The closest I have is a Sarracenia alata x oreophila.

2) I have never grown an endangered Sarracenia.

3) I have been growing Sarracenia for about 2 years and 9 months.

4) I have about 25 Sarracenia in my collection. At least a third of them are quite large and could be divided up, but I've never bothered with doing divisions.

Thank you joossa for doing such a great giveaway. Just entering a giveaway puts a smile on my face.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very generous offer!

I would like to have a labeled Sarr...all of mine were purchased at a fair and had no tags

here goes...
    1) unknown, probably not
    2) unknown, probably not
    3) 4+ years
    4) 4 types at this time...but I will get more as the season advances and CP sellers become more active.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) No
    A) No
    B) No
    C) No
    2) No
    3) About one year
    4) 6-8 Sarracenia

P.S. Thanks for this wonderfull giveaway you are so nice to give some people a chance to grow a Sarracenia for the first time or for someone to grow this kind of Sarracenia for the first time thanks once again! Also is this enough info for you or do i need to give you something else?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-14-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Currently, do you have any of these Sarracenia and/or any of their forms, varieties, or cultivars in your CP collection?
    a) S. oreophila CHECK
    b) S. alabamensis subsp. alabamensis (S. rubra subsp. alabamensis) Seedlings
    c) S. jonesii (S. rubra subsp. jonesii) CHECK

3) I have grown them for about 3 years and have had very good success.

4) I have 20-30 sarracenia in my collection, most are genetically different.

Why would I be interested in this plant? I have a S. oreophila "Sand Mountain" and 2 plants of the same clone in a large bog that I built. If I were to receive this plant, I would replace one of the S. oreophila "Sand Mountain" plants with this plant so I could cross polinate them and get high quality seed.

As a bonus, If I receive this plant, I will give one of the other plants away on this forum to one of the members who has posted in this thread.
    Here is a pic of my current specimens:

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-14-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - S. "Sand Mountain" did not achieve cultivar status, registration incomplete

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast