User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula laueana, crimson flower wanted!

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is just opening a new flower. You can see the red color very obviously. I just took this photo 5 mins ago. The little guy can be yours. PM me with an offer. I'm repotting all my plants soon, so I'll even pot it up for you so it does better shipping.

I've had this plant flower 3-4 times for me within a year and a half of ownership. It sits right in the middle of my rack along with everybody else. No special treatment.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my grow list, I have this one:

Pinguicula laueana (Clemens "Red #1") - Bob Zeimer

I've been continuously trying to get the leaves to sprout. Like the P. gypsicola, I struggle with the leaves. If you can't get something from the above hobbyists, I'll save one out for you. I don't think the window sill got cold enough, but it did produce the winter leaf look.

From last year:

(before it reddened
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: N. A. - all plants have at least, two-part names

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Rice wrote some where about an orange flowered one
    I saw one that I think is the same type although I would call it salmon colored
    i have seen one that is more fuschia colored.also
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with flytraplady5, I've seen Pinguicula laueana clones in varying shades of orange, salmon, peach, dark pink, fuschia, and near crimson red. I keep thinking that this species is certainly begging to have some cultivars registered.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    According to my grow list, I have this one:

Pinguicula laueana (Clemens "Red #1") - Bob Zeimer

I've been continuously trying to get the leaves to sprout. Like the P. gypsicola, I struggle with the leaves. If you can't get something from the above hobbyists, I'll save one out for you. I don't think the window sill got cold enough, but it did produce the winter leaf look.

From last year:

(before it reddened
    wow.. they look like a completely different species- I wasn't aware of different phenotypes within the same variety! I did purchase a P. laueana from auction, but it was a small seedling, and didn't recover fully(still struggling right now, and it doesn't help that they are sorta in a winter dormancy..) I am hoping that it will recover eventually, but I am hoping I can get a hold of slightly larger, more established plant in case it doesn't recover. lol. I am hoping thougn, to gert a hold of multiple of the same plant from future trade..
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candice324,
    In reply to one of your earlier questions, "not sure how many that are officially registered on CarnivorousPlants.org?"

Not one single clone of Pinguicula laueana has yet been registered as a cultivar. I plan to remedy that, soon.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Candice324,
    In reply to one of your earlier questions, "not sure how many that are officially registered on CarnivorousPlants.org?"

Not one single clone of Pinguicula laueana has yet been registered as a cultivar. I plan to remedy that, soon.
    That is pretty shocking- I figured if I can find the photos of the species here(http://www.bacps.org/2005Fall/images/Plaueana.jpg), it would probably mean its is a officially registered cultivar...
    I really like this variety(does anyone know which one this is?), also found on the cpphotofinger website....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really aren't any representatives of this species, Pinguicula laueana that have been registered as cultivars. Any and all names that they are known by, other than their scientific names, are just unofficial and/or descriptive names.

Even the clone, I called Pinguicula (Red 1), is not officially named. I propagated and distributed some of them, as an unidentified Pinguicula species. I had no idea what it was, other than a Mexican Pinguicula - I needed it to bloom so I could identify it. The moniker (Red 1) was chosen, by me, because its leaves were dark red, like the one in the image you just posted. My goal was achieved, BobZ flowered a division of that plant, and we all discovered that it was a clone of Pinguicula laueana. One with a dark orange-red flower with a characteristic pale spot - see links to photos, earlier in this thread.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast