1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aww.. no seeds for me yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering myself and found that i got a decent price for it. It is gibberellic acid or GA3. It is about 50mg mixed in 1/4 a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol, then mixed in 1 cup of water. so it is about 99% water. The acid has shown to have no dangerous affects in normal and even high doses, but the makers do recommend that if you get in your eye to rinse the eye with water. My skin is very sensitive (I get instant blood blisters from latax (sp?) and burn from peroxide. I found this stuff did not bother me until after a couple of hours and then was only a slight annoyance.

This being said many growers are using this with growing plants as it greatly boost the growth of the plants although the plant can grow a tolerance and to much can be harmful to the plant. Also there is a toxic amount. The fatal dose is not exactly known and varies greatly in animals. In a normal human it is believed to be any ware between 2.6 oz and 4 pounds of pure 90% gibberellic acid. The best price I have found on the stuff is $25 for 10gm. You would have to mean to kill yourself and be willing to pay a lot to get it done.

This material is considered relatively non- toxic by the government. It is in all the plant matter that we consume. Also I diluted it twice what it called for since the seeds were going to be in it for a few days. Here is a very good link for it http://www.seedman.com/sstartga.htm. Also I put it in with seeds that need smoke. The skin softened. I will let you know if it works or whether I had to use smoke as well.
    Last edited by Copper; 07-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GA3 is a suspected mutagen/carcinogen from some lab studies. I wouldn't be so cavalier about it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    GA3 is a suspected mutagen/carcinogen from some lab studies. I wouldn't be so cavalier about it.
    If I grow an extra finger I'll let you know...my hands got drenched in the stuff when I opened the package.....
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suspected and known are two different things. I went to lab sites, plant sites, government sites and others. I even called my sister in law who is a chemist. I do not think I was being cavalier about anything. Not a Number I am not sure what your problem is with me, but I would now ask you to keep it to PMs to me or to yourself or start a thread on it.

---------- Post added at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

From the chemical information sheet. This is on pure Ga3
    Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Very hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness,
    watering, and itching.
    Potential Chronic Health Effects:
    Very hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant).
    CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.

Yup, but every thing we use can be dangerous. Only go on if you want to see the other dangers we face (that I found because I was ticked)

vermaculite - Additionally, some vermiculite products may contain asbestos and pose a health hazard when used. For example, products such as vermiculite potting soil and gardening materials have been found to contain small amounts of asbestos during routine sampling tests by the EPA. If the asbestos fibers are loosened or otherwise disturbed, the fibers can easily become airborne.

perilite - foloride toxicity - Plant Tests
    Three crops were grown in a greenhouse to assess the potential toxicity of fluoride in perlite. These included the Asiatic lilies ‘Pixie Orange’ and ‘Sunray’; Tahitian bridal veil (Gibasis pellucida); and spider plant (Chiorophyturn comosum ‘Variegatum’).

Peat - Fungal Disease
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that people who have contact with peat moss containing the fungus Sporothrix schenckii have the potential of contracting sporotrichosis. The fungal spores from the moss enter the blood stream through a cut or open would and infect the person. To protect yourself from coming down with sporotrichosis, cover any exposed skin that may come into contact with the peat moss by wearing gloves and a long-sleeved shirt.

Peat moss is used as a soil conditioner, especially in areas where sand dominates the soil content. It helps increase moisture content of soil, but take care when working with it because it can cause respiratory problems.

Mold

Peat moss can become infested with mold, including penicillium and monocillium. These molds can release spores when you shovel peat moss into place or rake it to neaten up your landscaping, according to "Patterson's Allergic Diseases."
    Allergies

The main respiratory danger of peat moss is hypersensitivity pnuemonitis as a result of exposure to mold. It is also called "peat moss processor's lung." Symptoms include inflamed airways and lungs, coughing and difficulty breathing.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Research Organics' MSDS (revised 1/19/2009) www.resorg.com:

MUTATION DATA:
    TUMORIGENIC DATA:
    Oral TDLo - mouse = 142 g/kg/78W-I (Toxic Effects: Equivocal tumorigenic agent by RTECS criteria;
    Lungs/Thorax/Respiration Tumors; Liver Tumors).
    Oral TDLo - Amphibian (toad) = 13200 mg/kg/22W-I (Toxic Effects: Equivocal tumorigenic agent by RTECS
    criteria; Liver Tumors).
    Further testing to determine actual mutagenicity and tumorigenicty is necessary. Classification into either of these
    categories is not yet warranted until further tests are performed.
    Only selected toxicological data is presented here. See actual entry in RTECS for complete information.
    CAUTION! THE TOXICOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF THIS MATERIAL HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY
    INVESTIGATED. FOLLOW GOOD LABORATORY PRACTICES WHEN HANDLING.

DNA Damage - Salmon sperm = 1 mmol/L. Cytogenetic analysis - Human lymphocyte = 3 mmol/L. DNA
    damage - Mammal (species unspecified) Lymphocyte = 1 mmol/L.
    Note their caution (I highlighted it in red).

Note also they are reporting DNA damage at 1mmol/L. The molecular weight of GA3 is 346.38 so 1mmol/L is 0.346 g which is less than the standard working solution of 1 gram/L (1% or 1000ppm).

Have your cavalier attitude if you want. You won't find me working with this stuff without a mask, goggles, long sleeves and gloves (e.g. good laboratory practice).

And did you use the 1% solution to treat all the seeds? The standard 1000 ppm solution can kill the seed of some species. You might have to go down to a little as .1% (100ppm). I don't know if there is any systematic studies on Drosera other than Norman C. Deno's work (see First Supplement to the Second Edition of Seed Germination Theory and Practice, second printing July 10, 1997). With the Drosera species studied he notes: Germination in 70 GA-3 was always poor and often zero. 70 refers to 70F for the temperature. Species in question D. aliciae, D. anglica, D. binata, D. binata v. multifida, D. burkeana, D. capensis, D. spathulata.

Of the species I've treated with GA3 at the standard 1000 ppm - D. hilaris, D. cistiflora, D. filiformis var filiformis, and D. intermedia only D. hilaris germinated. Unless the seed was no longer viable to begin with these and Deno's results suggest to me that a lower concentration of GA3 may be needed.

Deno's work can be downloaded from the National Agricultural Library. It is no longer in print.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/handle/10113/41278
    http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/handle/10113/41279
    http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/handle/10113/41277
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap......so not only do I have possible DNA damage, but my seeds might not come up?
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information.
    Why am I cavalier? If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to start a new thread. I will not respond to you any longer in this thread.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Ok, One thing I have learned from this is never to send anything with seeds, but seeds. N.A.N. is correct about using precautions, but we should use them with everything. No, I am not having problem, but people have been caused to worry and that was not my intention.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast