What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrestrial Utricularia for Postage

woohoo! 2 confirmed arrived safe and sound. Thanks for lettin me know, guys! Enjoy and good luck!

So what water level do you tend to keep your terrestrial utrics in now? I try to keep mine in about an inch of water but I keep the plants in smaller pots so the pot is usually 1/3 or 1/4 in water. Since I'm still pretty much a noob I treasure any advice/suggestion I can get :)

I don't know about giving you advice since I'm by no means an expert, but I can say a few things have worked for me and quite a few haven't.

I keep a seed tray of 2" square pots where I plant all of my terrestrial utrics in a mixture of live/dead sphagnum. I've found that if I mist these pots at least twice a day I can get the sphagnum to grow for me and it keeps the utrics quite happy. I don't keep them in any standing water at all. This is what I consider my grow-out tray. I get the utrics to multiply here then I use plugs in other experiments to see what works. Technically even this "grow-out" seed tray is an experiment but it seems to be working so far.

I try all kinds of things to get them to flower. When a utric flowers for me, then I can consider it a success. I've got a thread in the utric forum about the special utric pots I've made. These I put under lights between 6-12" and on windowsills (west, east, and south)...pretty much anywhere I think they might grow. I've read a lot about how some pickier utrics like or even require seasonal changes and daily temperature drops and all that good stuff a windowsill is perfect for. We'll see!

Got mine in today and all potted up! Look good, thanks for the chance to grow these!

i got no plant lol still waiting do you know what day you sent mine out?? cant wait im so excited

great to hear vbkid, good luck with em!

@ieatflys - i sent your box out on wednesday...it should have arrived by now or tomorrow unless something went awry

Sorry for the late reply. I got mine Thursday. Excellent packing job!
Many thanks, and I hope to return the favor.

Cheers,

Joe

Got mine yesterday. Very inventive packing. The money order was sent out today. U. livida in in my D. adelae terrarium and U. graminifolia in in a plastic pot alongside my orchids by a window.

sorry for late reply was at my lakehouse i got plant yesterday beautifully grown and i got some lfs live too lol thank you so much

Back