What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
So, I'm heading off to college in a few weeks and I've got to do something about the plants! There's no way I'm fitting them all in my dorm so I'm only keeping two neps (my first one, and a small truncata). The rest are up for postage!

The catch is that most of them are pretty sick looking right now. I'm not quite sure what is wrong with them, but they seem to hate it outside this year! A couple years ago they did great out there, pitchering profusely and everything, but this and the past year I haven't been so lucky...

So here is what I have:

1 large (around 15 inches) N. Maxima. One of the healthiest of the lot, no pitchers but many leaves. One growth point, Starting to vine a bit.

1 chaniana x veitchii, around 12 inches at the widest point. It lost nearly all of its foliage when I first put it outside but now it is sprouting healthy, tougher growth points around the base and I even see a baby pitcher! This one has high potential for recovery Origin: Borneo exotics. This was my second ever nep.

1 ventricosa (squat) x fusca (dark), around 12 inches across. Two growth points, but one is a vine that my dad accidentally weed whacked so I'll probably cut that off. The other growth point shows heavy sun burning but seems OK otherwise. The plant shows a lot of the fusca parent, and has a "dusky" dark look.

1 N. bongso, which used to be about 10 inches across. But I say "used to be" because it has deteriorated to a single growth point, just a tiny bit of green left in the forming leaf. I'm not really sure what happened, but I suspect I did not acclimate it properly to outside. The foliage death was almost instant.

1 spectabilis x (lowii x ventricosa) from EP, about 10 inches across. Not too healthy looking. All the old indoor foliage has turned dark, spotted red. Two growth points seem to be actively making new leaves; the third somehow broke off and now is blackening. It's quite a nice plant when it starts pitchering, with a darkly striped, slightly toothed peristome, looking kind of like a dusky spectabilis.

Finally: 1 N. Wrigleyana, with a very large vine and leaves spanning about 12 or so inches. The vine should probably be cut, as it will be tough to ship otherwise... It has a large basal rosette and looks pretty much healthy.

May post pics of these, if I can find my camera cord!

Preference will be given to members who have grown nepenthes for a while, and to those who have never recieved a terraforums giveaway. I would appreciate it if you give away cuttings of these plants in the future if you successfully grow them, to continue the chain of giving! :-D

Please PM me if you are interested.

Sincerely,
Ben

never grow a nep before so I wouldn't ask for 1 but good luck finding some one to apopt them

Pmed. Hope you find good homes for them, and sorry you have to give them away in the first place...

The weather here has taken my miranda and my sanguinea. At least I think that is what is doing it. HOT, and low humidity. Any you cannot find a home for, I would love to have. If a perference thing, your second listed one would be nice. But however you decide. I would be a willing adopter. Or the last one??

Ive been doing tons of research and have plenty of space available :) sorry you have to give them away... PMed.

PM'ed

PM'd

Pmed 20 minuts after post was created. Duces ieatflys

Wow. You guys filled up my PM box pretty fast! I'll make space for more, and you can also email me at 30howland@gmail.com

How fast must these go :p

Perfect timing! I'm about to go back to college and would like to fill in the windowsills a bit more.

Guys, I forgot one big detail: The wrigleyana has scale! It is not a "fatal" infestation and the plant is growing despite the pests, but it could infect your plants if you don't keep it quarantined... sorry, I should have mentioned that in the initial post.

So, I'm thinking the only really fair way to do this is to pick names randomly out of a hat, so that's what I'll do if multiple people want the same plant... I have many more people messaging me than I have plants to give away! It may simplify things a bit if those who have messaged me let me know which plants they are most interested in.

Some more details I neglected: All plants will be shipped bare - root, and you must pay the shipping costs. This can be done through paypal (simplest way) or by mailing me a check. When I figure out who's getting which plants I'll give those people all the info they need!

This is the first time I've done something on this scale, so please bear with me! Giving the plants away on the forum was a no-brainer after all the help I've gotten here... I hope to make as many people happy as possible!

our you could do a first come fist serve thing idk just seems more fair lol but hey your plants

Guys, I forgot one big detail: The wrigleyana has scale!

Scale is easier to get rid of than other pests, so it won't be a problem for me at least! ;)

If you didn't get my PM, N. chaniana x veitchii would be a lovely take-in that I would be happy distributing propagules of.

Last edited:
our you could do a first come fist serve thing idk just seems more fair lol but hey your plants

Most people aren't on the exact time a giveaway starts. Doesn't make sense to exclude people who might be more qualified because of a timezone difference or something.

I'm not really shooting for any particular nep, so if picked, I'd be happy with one of the less requested ones (if it makes things easier).

Thanks, happy growing!

A knife easily takes care of scale. I pretty much got rid of scale on a banana tree with nothing but a pocket knife.

Back