Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus seeds - fyi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I see a radical or two emerging from some follicles; thought it will be a bit longer for those I just removed from cold stratification on 27 November -- after ninety days . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 germinations as of 12.09.11 (the ones on the left are already sending out their 1st pitcher)
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-12-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: swapped image w/ circled version
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for Cephies!! Congrats!!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a packet of these too and so far nothing. I stratified half for 8 weeks in the fridge and no strat on the others. I have them under light, soil is moist, inside ziplocks, temps between 65 night and 80 day. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice! What set up did you put the seeds under?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pills23 View Post
    I got a packet of these too and so far nothing. I stratified half for 8 weeks in the fridge and no strat on the others. I have them under light, soil is moist, inside ziplocks, temps between 65 night and 80 day. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    You got these from the ICPS seedbank? It sounds like you've got better conditions than I do ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What set up did you put the seeds under?
    In 2008, I planted seeds in existing Cephalotus pots in my office terrarium. I tried to very lightly cover (or sorta cover) the seeds.

This time around, I mixed up some media (peat, aps, sand, lsf), individually planted the seeds (pushing them down firmly into the media) & then I tried to lightly cover them. I then capped it with a small, clear dixie cup over the pot (with a few holes) & placed it ~6" below shoplights. I was hoping that the light would warm up the small enclosure since the winter temps in the room only get up to 65-68*F. I also sprinkled freshly-mixed Trichoderma solution over the seeds & media when I was done planting.

I only did this because I wanted to confirm that the seeds were viable - I suspect that this little pot may find its way into the NASC auction this spring ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    You got these from the ICPS seedbank? It sounds like you've got better conditions than I do ...
    Yup, these are from the second round of available seeds this season. I even lightly covered a few of the seeds with soil (most are on the surface) and still nothing. I'm holding out some hope, but it's discouraging to see that they're sprouting for others. I'll keep you posted.

And thank you for sending them to the seed bank!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germination at last!

I planted 17 seeds from the first batch on August 22 of 2010. Just today I noticed 5-6 cotyledons (about 5.5 months later!)

Pics are from my cell, so the resolution is pretty worthless:

I have another couple batches that I planted in October, so I guess I can hold out hope for a few more months.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast