Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing for feedback before posting..orchids

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fishing for feedback before posting..orchids

Okay here's the deal. I have four large pots of orchids..2 of LC Trick orTtreat and 2 of SLC Jewel Box 'Scheherazade'.

All of these plants have been kicking around my collection for more years than I can remember. They are rough looking but not diseased..I visus test my collection on a regular basis. They spend the summer out side each year. Before bringing them in for the winter I plan, in the next few weeks to divide them and keep only one small divsion of each varity.

If there is any interest I will post pics of them and offer the divsions left for postage, probably three if not four of each varity. postage would be the cost of a medium sized flat rate USPS box.

Please let me know if I should even bother.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I dont have any orchids so I wouldnt have the experience to grow them, id be glad to take some to get experience and start growing orchids
    I was here...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an orchid decades ago, have not tried since. A while back I visited a grower who have a massive greenhouse, and asked what he charged for some of his smaller stock. The least expensive was over twenty bucks. Those I have seen at Home Depot, etc. are usually not properly cared for...you might find a cart full sitting in full sun. And at a reduced price. Good thing, as they are gonna die. But anyway, I would like a start of two to try again should you decide to do so. Thanks in advance.

PD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in one of each. they sound interesting. And all orchids take a hit when dividing so no worries there if you say they look rough. That is how you get good. Make the rough look nice and pretty. I do think you should bother.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow you can actually virus test plants? How so, is it a kit or something and is it readily available?
    I love lamp...

Grow List

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gea8579 View Post
    Wow you can actually virus test plants? How so, is it a kit or something and is it readily available?
    You can either send the tissue samples to a lab or buy the kit. The tests are for specific viruses common to orchids. Either way the cost is roughly $5.00 a plant. I rotate which ones I test, otherwise it would cost me roughly $300 a pop

On a regular basis my local orchid society does a pooled order of kits so we can get them at a "slight' discount.

all right then..when i do the dividing I will post. No worries about being orchid newbies. My first orchids were the Home Depot/lowes type. These mini-catts, as they are called are very forgiving. So start doing your research now..just google search on their names.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great orchid primer is Ortho's all about orchids and can get on amazon for around 6 bucks. Great book. I highly recommend it.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in the Lc Trick or Treat if you're letting newbies try orchids!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast