Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes giveaway for excellent moral standing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to step forward!
    I do not know if this is support, but I had a gay room-mate for several years before I got married and moved out. We got along great- we were both D&D freaks, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got several gay/lesbian/bi and transgender friends who I have known for years and are some of my closest friends... Recently, my gay uncle passed away from a major Coronary heart attack, and for 3 years in highschool helped raise money for and run the GSA club at our school. I even got one of my transgender friends into Carnivorous plants and he's hooked. I've joined in parades and rallies for the support of gay marriage and adoption.
    The friend of mine is married to a woman and they are fighting for custody of 2 children from his previous marriage. CPS and the state are saying that because of his lifestyle they do not see him fit for custody, even though the mother is a sociopath and could care less about her daughter. My fiancÚ and I have each written 6 page statements against the ex and for the father, hopefully it works out...

I'm going to guess the number 58

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Lol griffin, my transgender friend and his bisexual wife are part of our D&D group as well xD

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if this counts but after I got my scuba licence in Hawaii I talked to my friend about getting involved. He is generally ok with swimming but still I could understand why he would be afraid of having no air at deep levels. I showed him a Spare-air tube that I had bought and he loved using it! It also made him feel much safer about scuba. Now he is getting his licence!!
    My number is 53.

EDIT: ohh thats what LGBT stands for! I haven't lived in any big cities but there are some gay kids at my high school. I don't think standing up for them would be such a good idea due to all the people at my high school you never know who will get mad. I hope I still count.
    Last edited by lance; 09-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fiance was a lesbian.. before she met me. I was the only straight in our group of friends when my roommate and his boyfriend introduced us a few years ago. We've been at each others side ever since.
    I've been to tons of pride marches. And also have made plenty of donations to the cause over the years.

I choose.. 69!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a fantastic idea for a giveaway - VERY generous of you and a great show of support for the LGBT community! I'd love to participate.

Some of the oldest family friends I can remember were a gay couple that my parents were very close with when I was a toddler. They explained to me right then and there what homosexuality was, and ever since then I've just never really understood what could possibly be so offensive about it. It reminds me of a billboard along FDR Drive on the east side of Manhattan: "If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married."

Over the years, I've had several close friends and family friends who are gay & lesbian, several gay employees that have reported to me, gay bosses that I've reported to, etc. I went to Oberlin College and attended many talks, panels, and rallies in support of gay rights issues while I was there (there's a huge, active LGBT community at Oberlin for those who don't know--so huge, in fact, that they tacked a "Q" onto the end of LGBT to include all those who were "Questioning" their current sexual orientation). I voted in favor of gay marriage in the most recent election here in NY, and at various times have donated to campaigns and initiatives that supported the cause. I came out to celebrate at the gay pride parade here in NYC a few weeks ago, the tone of which was particularly jovial given the recent legalization of gay marriage in NY state.

Anyway, it feels weird to say "I know gay people so I must understand their issues intimately." I'm not bragging, nor am I claiming to be an expert on the topic, and I certainly can't pretend to have directly intervened in a situation where an LGBT person was being discriminated against, although I certainly wouldn't hesitate should the situation present itself... But suffice to say I am a staunch supporter of equality and rights for LGBT folks.

The number I choose: 68.

EDIT: Mass - posted within seconds of each other with a number that was one apart. What are the odds...
    Last edited by TheFury; 09-03-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont need the neps, but I want to say that it is AWESOME you are doing this Thez...

My 2 cents.

I was raised largely in part by my grandmother, who has been a "loud and proud" lesbian and "womyns" rights activist since the mid 70s. Due to this, i've walked in more pride parades then I can count starting at a young age. lol. I'd say at least 1/2 of my long term friends are gay and have helped a few of them through their "coming out" to their families. One of them was pretty rough. :\ Mother completely disowned him and refuses to acknowledge his existance.

I find it simply ASTOUNDING that we as a population can completely disregard a large part of humanity, simply due to their sexuality. Who cares if you find it "disturbing" or "offesive". Maybe I find YOU disturbing and offensive. :P ugh! I could rant about this subject and post all kinds of images/videos but im pretty sure they would get me booted from this forum. heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol mass, figures you'd pick 69

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's a really interesting and motivational giveaway thez, mad props!

I'm not really throwing my hat in the ring, I haven't done that much to support the LGBT community, just supporting my friends that are and such.

But nice job Thez!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast