Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes giveaway for excellent moral standing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all the supporters <3

lance: then go be friends with them They're just like you, in exactly every way. Who you choose to date/marry in the end is down to who you think has the best moral character and it doesn't matter if your partner is a boy or girl. Here's what the ancient Greek, Plato, had to say about that: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html

Scotty: Because you are Christian-ing all over a civil rights support thread, that is someone other than yours' fault? You made the choice to post here.

dsrtfox: From the sounds of it, you're not reformed, nor are you entering in the contest. Please don't just post hate here.

I think I'll close this thread off end of Monday when I go to bed (9pm or 10pm PST) 5th Sept and tell you guys who got the closest and won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thez - thanks for a great giveaway & opportunity to raise awareness!

Unlike many of the others in the thread, I cannot say that I was supportive of the LGBT community when I was in high school. To be honest, many of my views at that time were more a representation of my collective peer groups & family beliefs than anything that arose from my own gray matter. Leaving my rural, small-town PA high school for a huge university exposed me to a myriad of different theologies, mindsets & belief systems & pushed my mind to start to function on the basis of what I thought vs what those around me wanted me to think.

While there are numerous stories I could tell about this time period (mid-70's), my personal evolution & current status (as could many), suffice to say that I am now supportive of a myriad of belief-systems & lifestyle choices - whether or not they are similar to my own. While my views are now mine and constructed from someplace within, my original family members have not found the need to modify theirs & this chasm of difference has been the catalyst for many 'conversations'. Apparently the divides within my family are at least somewhat analogous to those within our society and as might be expected, have been an incentive for the evolution in my political affiliation. It is a source of sadness to me that this chasm of difference has now become so wide that effective communication is often difficult (if not impossible) - as we see being mirrored on the national stage.

No number - not interested in the Neps - just in voicing support for tolerance, temperance & understanding.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose 99 and would love to provide a new home for your extra plants.
    I teach biology and make a point to show that same sex relationships are normal and expected in the animal world. Humans are the only animal that creates an issue out of it!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thez - I'm closing this topic temporarily until I get back from my in laws. I want to clean out the off topicness and review the other thread. It will be reopened later tonight.

The community appreciates your generosity. Those that don't appreciate it should have stayed out.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the posts not related directly to this give away have been moved to the other thread. Good luck to all the participants and thanks again for the generous give away.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Destroying The Universe danikal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Such an amazing and generous thing to do!

Somehow or another, I seem to be the only openly out person in my art classes at school. Many times, I have had some of the more shy individuals befriend me only to later learn that they hung out around me simply because I wasn't afraid to be who I was, and thus made them more comfortable with who they are. These people were not necessarily all homosexual, however, it was my openness with my own that led to them understanding that gay people are very much like straight people, and those who were like me were more willing to simply go with how they felt about things. They weren't afraid to talk to me about their lives or what made them tick. Things like that really warm my heart and its one of the few instances where I feel as though I have made a difference in someones life.
    Hmm.... as for the number, I choose #1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are awesome for increasing awareness and dialogue. I will pick # 16. I am outspoken in defense of lgbt and minorities in the rural hillbilly community I live in. I have been to fundraising events to defend marriage rights for the gay community. It isn't even a moral issue,it is unconstitutional to deprive someone the rights that others have based on prejudie. I have a gay risk prevention hotline phone number on my phone for patients I see at the hospital I work at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Job Danikal, There should be no reason for you to be afraid to be who you are.... Likewise with anyone else in the LGBT community,

Zu i did not mention in my previous posts, but it really makes me happy to see that you are putting your foot out there for the community. The oppression of the LGBT needs to come to an end... People are entitled to love, and should not be condemned to a life of misery and torment because of their orientation. As all of the bible junkies throw out their quotes, let me throw out a quote of their beloved bible as well
    "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" (Of course not saying being gay is a sin)

anyway this post will probably be deleted and if it does, whatever, point is that people should not fear to be themselves.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast