What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
Giveaway for the U.S. only.. will ship potted for the smaller ones possibly, but really just want to ship bare-root. I'll cover shipping costs so this will cost you nothing, other than your address should you win.

As one of the few groups who actively get hunted down and beaten near or to death still in this country, I'm making a Nepenthes give-away for those people who have actively supported LGBT issues in their community or abroad. For those of you who have, please don't be afraid to stand up and write a little something about if you donated to a charity, volunteered at a support group, lent moral support for a friend coming out, or just tried to reason with someone who is homophobic. I know it seems a little weird to write a one-liner about something like 'I told someone to stop calling things they didn't like 'gay'', but in some places, that's unfortunately a very scary thing to do.

So that I'm not playing some sort of 'god' choosing the best moral character, when you reply also pick a number between 1 and 100 - whoever guesses correctly will get a box full of Nepenthes 'Peter D'Amato' (lowii x ventricosa, go to cpphotofinder for history), Nepenthes 'Troth' (Sam Estes hybrid - (thorelii x maxima) x (veitchii x (maxima x veitchii))), Nepenthes truncata 'reddish leaves' (A.Wistuba clone), and Nepenthes muluensis (A.Wistuba clone).

Wow! That's incredibly generous! :) All these plants will go to a single person?

Yup.. don't want to pack up multiple boxes :p

Well, the moment you said "Excellent moral standing" kicked me out of the running. :D

Good luck to those who participate! :)

I choose 32. I have several friend who are homosexual. I lend moral support never ridiculing or cindisending towards them. Even went to drag show with several friends a few years ago. Had a blast. We are all humans and sexual orrientation doesn't have anything to do with friends or people's right to be happy.

I find myself to be in good moral standings. I am a nurse by trade and show compassion to my patient no matter the sexual orientation or background. In fact I think I go above and beyond and dig a lil deeper than most to find out problem that could be easily overlooked.

I hope to be chosen but will let the chips fall where they may. Thank thez!! For the chance.

I would absolutely love the redisj leaves truncata! Agh to drool for

Last edited:
Thez, I just wanted to say thank you for doing this. As the friend and sibling of people in the LGBT community, I've seen the kind of violence and bigotry these people face on a daily basis. I wouldn't begin to know how I would find space for all these plants, so I don't want to enter. I just felt the need to say thank you :)

Glad to see people coming out of the woodwork... no problem, figured being a good person gets some rewards too :grin:

Oh, in case nobody guesses the actual number, whoever is closest will get the plants. And if it's a tie... um, *don't* tell me what your favorites are and I'll split up the plants as evenly as possible randomly to the tied parties.

my son is gay and my family never had a problem with it,we get along with all his friends,and support his life style,just want him to be happy
the number is 4

Way to step forward!
I do not know if this is support, but I had a gay room-mate for several years before I got married and moved out. We got along great- we were both D&D freaks, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

I've got several gay/lesbian/bi and transgender friends who I have known for years and are some of my closest friends... Recently, my gay uncle passed away from a major Coronary heart attack, and for 3 years in highschool helped raise money for and run the GSA club at our school. I even got one of my transgender friends into Carnivorous plants and he's hooked. I've joined in parades and rallies for the support of gay marriage and adoption.
The friend of mine is married to a woman and they are fighting for custody of 2 children from his previous marriage. CPS and the state are saying that because of his lifestyle they do not see him fit for custody, even though the mother is a sociopath and could care less about her daughter. My fiancé and I have each written 6 page statements against the ex and for the father, hopefully it works out...

I'm going to guess the number 58

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Lol griffin, my transgender friend and his bisexual wife are part of our D&D group as well xD

I dont know if this counts but after I got my scuba licence in Hawaii I talked to my friend about getting involved. He is generally ok with swimming but still I could understand why he would be afraid of having no air at deep levels. I showed him a Spare-air tube that I had bought and he loved using it! It also made him feel much safer about scuba. Now he is getting his licence!!
My number is 53.

EDIT: ohh thats what LGBT stands for! I haven't lived in any big cities but there are some gay kids at my high school. I don't think standing up for them would be such a good idea due to all the people at my high school you never know who will get mad. I hope I still count.

Last edited:
My fiance was a lesbian.. before she met me. :rolleyes: I was the only straight in our group of friends when my roommate and his boyfriend introduced us a few years ago. We've been at each others side ever since.
I've been to tons of pride marches. And also have made plenty of donations to the cause over the years.

I choose.. 69!

This is a fantastic idea for a giveaway - VERY generous of you and a great show of support for the LGBT community! I'd love to participate.

Some of the oldest family friends I can remember were a gay couple that my parents were very close with when I was a toddler. They explained to me right then and there what homosexuality was, and ever since then I've just never really understood what could possibly be so offensive about it. It reminds me of a billboard along FDR Drive on the east side of Manhattan: "If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married."

Over the years, I've had several close friends and family friends who are gay & lesbian, several gay employees that have reported to me, gay bosses that I've reported to, etc. I went to Oberlin College and attended many talks, panels, and rallies in support of gay rights issues while I was there (there's a huge, active LGBT community at Oberlin for those who don't know--so huge, in fact, that they tacked a "Q" onto the end of LGBT to include all those who were "Questioning" their current sexual orientation). I voted in favor of gay marriage in the most recent election here in NY, and at various times have donated to campaigns and initiatives that supported the cause. I came out to celebrate at the gay pride parade here in NYC a few weeks ago, the tone of which was particularly jovial given the recent legalization of gay marriage in NY state.

Anyway, it feels weird to say "I know gay people so I must understand their issues intimately." I'm not bragging, nor am I claiming to be an expert on the topic, and I certainly can't pretend to have directly intervened in a situation where an LGBT person was being discriminated against, although I certainly wouldn't hesitate should the situation present itself... But suffice to say I am a staunch supporter of equality and rights for LGBT folks.

The number I choose: 68.

EDIT: Mass - posted within seconds of each other with a number that was one apart. What are the odds...

Last edited:
I dont need the neps, but I want to say that it is AWESOME you are doing this Thez...

My 2 cents.

I was raised largely in part by my grandmother, who has been a "loud and proud" lesbian and "womyns" rights activist since the mid 70s. Due to this, i've walked in more pride parades then I can count starting at a young age. lol. I'd say at least 1/2 of my long term friends are gay and have helped a few of them through their "coming out" to their families. One of them was pretty rough. :\ Mother completely disowned him and refuses to acknowledge his existance.

I find it simply ASTOUNDING that we as a population can completely disregard a large part of humanity, simply due to their sexuality. Who cares if you find it "disturbing" or "offesive". Maybe I find YOU disturbing and offensive. :p ugh! I could rant about this subject and post all kinds of images/videos but im pretty sure they would get me booted from this forum. heh.

Lol mass, figures you'd pick 69

Wow that's a really interesting and motivational giveaway thez, mad props!

I'm not really throwing my hat in the ring, I haven't done that much to support the LGBT community, just supporting my friends that are and such.

But nice job Thez!

I once stopped a guy from being beaten because he was gay when I was in HS....and people hated me for it, which is sad.

Interesting idea for a givaway...I like it. :)

I'll go with 66

Last edited:
I support Ron Paul's philosophy of Liberty. Well, it's not his philosophy, it goes back centuries.

The philosophy of Liberty basically says one person or group of person's has no right to limit another person or group of person's liberties (Life, Liberty, Property). This includes LGBT and all of the other letters in the alphabet. It's when you try to pick and choose which liberties you want to support and which you do not, when unintended consequences occur. Which is where we are today. All pitted against each other based upon our differences, when neither side has a right to interfer with a damn thing the other is doing. As long as you are not causing harm to another's Life, Liberty, or Property in the process then it is virtuous in society. May or may not be virtuous to yourself (ie: as in the drug issue), but it's your right to choose and no others.

If people would support this philosophy in full faith, you would probably see alot of these issues go away.

OK, getting off political rant.

Don't want the plants. It is a very generous offer though. Kudos!

I don't need/want more plants, but I totally just wanted to say that this is an incredible idea and you're marvelous for this <3.

I've always been a friend to the LBGT community-
In highschool, I was in the GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance), and participated on every Day of Silence that was held.
I had a friend who was homosexual and shunned by his mother for it. My dad, who is at times intolerably homophobic, took him in for about half a year, and my family thought of him as their son/brother.
I wear pins and bumper stickers and internet banners. I sign any and every petition for rights that I come across. I have zero tolerance for anyone that says "[something] is so gay."
Today, my best friend for life is gay, and a victim of sexual abuse- and he's done alot for both of those communities, including donation drives. My best friend in the city is bi. She'll never be able to tell her grandparents and father, and it was/is even more difficult for them because her fiance is in the Navy. But her mother, and I, and all her friends, support her and her fiance.
Myself, and my boyfriend, are unable to define our sexualities. We are simply open, and together we love and support each other by whatever that means <3.

I was inspired by my late cousin Sam, who was a champion for the underdogs. After a lot of fighting, he was the one to bring the first GSA to his highschool district. He did so much for human, gay, female, and political rights.

"Dear America, when you tell gay Americans that they can't serve their country openly, or marry the person that they love, you're telling that to kids, too. So don't be shocked, and wonder where all these bullies are coming from that are torturing young kids, and driving them to kill themselves because they're different. They learned it from watching you." - Sarah Silverman

tumblr_ljhyz9Melf1qfx2ozo1_500.jpg

Before They Know by Stratopharius​

Nice of ya Zu.... I dont need the plants, but kudos to you hon...

fighting urge to post team gina's butch video and say i was their inspiration.... cant tease ya when you're all giving and saint like, dang woman... ;-)

The culture of giving we have at TF is truly unique in the CP forums

Proud of ya, it's not always widely known but youre one of the most giving of us all :)

Back