What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. "Brokkenensis" (x catesbaei) Giveaway!

Latinization of the name Catesby pronounced \ˈkāts-bē\ "Kates bee".

I'm guessing named after the English naturalist Mark Catesby.

Latinization of the name Catesby pronounced \ˈkāts-bē\ "Kates bee".

I'm guessing named after the English naturalist Mark Catesby.

So would that be Kates, like Kate's? so it is Kate's bee and not kate's bee eye?

It would be Kates-bee-eye, yes. Organisms named after men receive the -i or -ii ending (depending on whether the man's name ends in a consonant or vowel), while organisms named after women receive the -ae ending.

Organisms named after places should receive the ending -ensis (mean from) hence trusmandi-ensis (from Trusmandi).

In practice, these endings are treated as a suffix and separate syllable, so they should be pronounced separately.

On a related note, don't mix latin and greek in your species name or someone will come by and overwrite it. RIP Oedipus rex - Now Oedipina rex.

A professor at Michigan State University said that since latin is a dead language, just say it with confidence and it's correct. :rolleyes: He may have been joking though.
That being the case.. if you ever talk to me you'll see how AWESOME my latin is. :lol: In my house.. it's:

Kate's Bay
VeeChee
Lowee
VogeLee

What is a "green member"?

Scot

A paid member.. If you buy $20 worth of stuff I think it is, or just pay $12, you get added forum benefits and stuff.

What is a "green member"?

Scot

Notice how some people have green names, while others don't? Well the cool club members get all types of perks. Some of which include being able to participate in high roller giveaways, having private IM features in the chat, having your PM box upped from 75 to 300 messages, opening and closing your own threads.. and much much more.
Basically, your showing your commitment to Andrew, this forum, and the CP community in general. ;)
"Thank-You Membership" is very affordable. Only $12 a year..

~In a TV actor's voice~ For just a dollar a month you can sponsor this young, homeless VFT. Too weak to eat, but still raising many small traps. Your contribution will go a long way to help feed, pot, and house these young plants. For your contribution you'll receive a photo of the plant you are sponsoring, a trap written letter, and a dead fly it caught all by itself.

http://www.flytrapshop.com/servlet/the-Calendar-and-Thank-You-Membership/Categories

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109478

wow..I have NEVER heard of this "green member" thing before!
and I never noticed that people had different colors for their names.. (where have I been? ;)
I guess because I havent bought a new CP in probably 5 years or more, so it just hasnt come up..huh..
well next time I want to order something, I know what to do! ;)
Scot

You can also purchase the Thank-You membership by itself. ;)

A professor at Michigan State University said that since latin is a dead language, just say it with confidence and it's correct. :rolleyes: He may have been joking though.
That being the case.. if you ever talk to me you'll see how AWESOME my latin is. :lol: In my house.. it's:

Kate's Bay
VeeChee
Lowee
VogeLee

Wow, toatally different.
Vee itchee eye
Lowee eye
Vo jelly eye
Ha ma ta
Sten aww fill uh
plat ee ch eye la
vent ri cosa
and lastly, the hardest to pronounce:
My nor :lol:

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Kate's Bay
VeeChee
Lowee
VogeLee

Wow, toatally different.
Vee itchee eye
Lowee eye
Vo jelly eye

Back