What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera anglica for the sake of activism.

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Hello

Up for giveaway are seed pods of fresh D. anglica. This is a temperate sundew and would be recommended only for those that can give it a solid Winter dormancy.

Each giveaway portion consists of perhaps a dozen seed pods, all with varying amounts of seed in them. I do not know of the germination requirements of this species, or this seed. I would assume that it could be treated like any other temperate carnivorous plant.

There will be four recipients of these portions. Inspired by thez_yo's thread, I turn to those of you on Terraforums that have done the most for a certain cause, however the cause I speak of is most certainly environmental activism.

I want to know what you have done to support the restoration or the preservation of the environments, either in your community or abroad. Wetland habitats are preferred but any sort of activism is terrific.

If you are interested in this seed, post your story. I will pick the four recipients.

If you have done a giveaway to me, whether recently or in the past, feel free to notify me of your interest in these seeds. You will, of course, have top priority.

Here are a couple pictures of plants that are similar to the genetics you will receive.

DSCN6144.jpg

DSCN6138.jpg

:laaa: :clap:

Ohmygod, youse so amazin for this! My heart sings seeing such wonderfully caring and inspiring people doing this...hopefully you guys start some sort of new trend :3

I'm more on the animal-rights boat, as that's where my only brief bits of activism have been, but the environment is dear to me as well, so I'm always signing petitions and clicking to donate every chance I get.

Not entering, but just sharing my story and saying how wonderful this is :hug:

doan know wai you didnt submit that first pic....that one could have been a winner. ;)

complete with rotundifolia in the corner

doan know wai you didnt submit that first pic....that one could have been a winner. ;)

I guess it was just a lousy time-management issue. :(

Oh well!

I got arrested in 1991 or so during an Earth Day protest. The main point was a protest of NSP (Northern States Power) planning to store casks of radioactive waste onto the Prarie Island Indian Reservation near the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Cask life was supposed to be 17 years but many were already leaking BEFORE the move according to local news reports. As you know the Mississippi flows all the way from Northern MN down through the Mississippi Delta and out into to the gulf of Mexico.

We were at the end of our march and infront of NSP when I felt a knight stick come up under my throat as I was lifted offa the ground and flung backwards into the street and stomped on by the pigs. They maced me a bunch of times in the middle of the street, one was standing on my back with both feet.

When they put me in the car different cops took turns getting in the front, opening the little window and berating me as a "commie-fag-junkie" and then macing me repeatedly, like they were trying to choke me out back there or something with all the gas.

Then they finally got in one last time, complained about how much mace was in the air (duh) and paraded me around town to show all the traffic cops on duty. I overheard them say "we have to transfer him to a new vehicle or we'll get charged with kidnapping" so they met up with a Police truck / paddy wagon somewhere downtown and chained me up loosely to the seat and then drove all crazy for a while starting and stopping real fast so I'd fly around and wrench my wrists and elbows out of joint. I was picked up during 4 pm rush hour but did not get the 6 blocks to the police station until after dark due to the cops shenanigans driving me around town.

When I was being booked the black juvenile officer who was taking my info told me about the time he himself got being beat up by Minneapolis cops when he didn't have his ID on him and was caught speeding. Minneapolis' finest! :lol:

And they did go ahead with dumping the waste on the river anyway so... sorry guys - I tried. :(

EDIT:
I forgot to say, I can't grow stuff that has to go dormant so don't put me in the hat for these seeds, I just thought I'd share my story.

Last edited:
I would love to be in the list.

I have not done anything directly to help with environmental. I maintain my membership with the AOS and they do a lot for conservation. I have also been a member of the nature conservatory. I grow plants that are endangered to make sure the plants are not totally lost. That is all I have.

These dews would go great outside with my Sarrs and VFT. they would receive the dormancy they require and be grown in a bog environment.

Thank you for the offer.

I would like to grow your seeds please. I am trying to replace a CP collection that I use for teaching (summer power failure cooked my plants). I have been a lurker on this forum for years but only recently joined to take advantage of the seed opportunities.
I prefer to remain anonymous to prioritize my time, so please don't use what comes next as a guessing game!
I have devoted my entire life to conservation and though I don't like to toot my own horn, I am proud to have been personally responsible for the conservation of over a million acres of precious ecosystems in the US alone. Though I have scaled back my conservation work for health reasons (in part because of too many years in the Amazon), I am still an advisor to governments on improving conservation policy. In the last year, I have returned to teaching conservation biology as a university professor and am also the Executive Director of a wilderness research preserve. My most significant wetlands conservation effort is finally getting started. I am one of the principle science advisors on what will be the largest wetlands restoration project ever undertaken (yes, even bigger than the Everglades project!).

For grins and chuckles, taken yesterday:

011-2.jpg

anglica seed

It would be great to get some seeds for my small collection of CPs. I'm new on the CP scene. Members of this forum have been so generous with all the giveaways. When I am able I will have my own giveaway too. Would like to establish a small collection in a small wetland area on my acreage.

With all of the dews I have on my growlist, this species is yet to make it to my collection. So, I'd also like to try for your giveaway.

Just off the top of my head.. here's an example of my own conservation efforts. http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127295

pS.. I want the same chance as everyone else. But I'm sure you've gotten in on some of my giveaways. ;)

Many people consider sportsmen to be the ultimate enviromental conservationists. I am now 27 years old and have been hunting since I was twelve and fishing since I was born. Through the money given to the game comission, they purchase game lands and improve natural habitat for everyone to enjoy. I am also a member of Ducks Unlimited. Together with member donations they are the single largest buyer of protected wetlands. I have donated both time and money to them. I have built nesting boxes for wood ducks for them. I also donate funds to other oranizations such as Whitetails Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, and the Rockey Mountain Elk Foundation. All of these organizations have purchased massive amounts of land for all to enjoy, hunter, fisherman, or not. I always donate what I can when I can, be it time or money. Not to mention purchasing plants from Meadowview when I can to help their cause.
I would love the opportunity to grow some dews from your seed and spread plants around when they're grown. Thank You!

Well heck, in that case...
Years ago, I made a $2500.00 donation to the USDA, in the name of plant smuggling.
Unfortunately, it was a fine and I was the smuggler.
It was my first import and I had a permit, but I failed to specify a specific USDA port, and was waiting for my stickers.
The guy in Malaysia whom I was importing from(mature N. sanguinea "giant red" and N. ramispina), decided it would be easier on him to write "Children's Toys" on the box and ship it.
It got sniffed out by beagles in Indianapolis and I got visited by agents. I thought it was cool once I explained what happened, and then I got a letter.
I called the agents and one said I did not have a leg to stand on and the other said I was getting screwed. I talked to my lawyer, and he said the $$ to research a defense would proabably exceed $2500. I was going to represent myself, but if the judge decided I was in the wrong, the fine could actually go as high as 10K.
I decided to bite the bullet and pay.
So hopefully my fine went to a good cause in plant protection.

Joe

Sorry the only thing I can do is recycle.

Great stories and anecdotes from all! I will leave this thread open until Wednesday the 21st to accumulate interested parties. (or sooner if it dies quickly)

I was an intern at Meadowview. Need I say more?

ooo.. today's the day!!

I'm not throwing my hat into the arena but thought I'd share. I live in a critical wetlands area. Everything we do from cutting an invasive bush to the amount of impervious ground allowed is strictly observed and regulated. To remove one dying tree I had to submit a plot map showing all current bushes and trees and pay a $250 bond that was released after I had replanted either one native tree or two native bushes and thay had been alive for at least a year after planting, and inspected.

Dead thread?

Back