Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginners oriented giveaway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants arrived today and have been potted. Thank you!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants arrived today in excellent condition and I have put them in pots. The nep is bigger then I thought it would be and very healthy, does not look like it traveled clear across the country. Great packaging job! Thank you again for the opportunity to take the plunge into growing neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Postage sent :]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    Postage sent :]
    Got it ! Thanks a lot. Will ship ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the plants have arrived and have been potted, thanks again. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the dews. I have never grown them before, and was hoping you could tell me what your growing conditions were like, and shed some light on dormancy for dews. thanks again.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These dews are easy. Keep in above 75F in 4" pots with 1:1 peat:sand (mesh#20 or less) or peat : perlite (not my favorite) 5" inches or so away from lights. Although to acclimate them keep them a bit further for a week or so. Place the pots in a tray with water so that the level will be about or slightly less. Once water dries out refill again. Top water on occasion and dump the water right after to avoid salt buildup. For D. capensis and spatulata no dormancy is needed. They like it warm but don't go above 85F if you can help it.

Also in addition, as I have mentioned in the OP both plants were sharing the pots with U. sandersonii and each sundew (capensis especially) contained a chunk of soil with utric leaves. If you missed it look closely onto the soil:

Notice white fine roots amongst the brown mess:

Two types of leaves, broader and thinner leaves:

Green strands near the tip of the tweezers:

All that is U. sandersonii and each package has it. If you mixed the soil and planted the plants burying the utric, don't worry it will emerge sooner or later. If you still have access to it plant it into a separate pot with peat:sand 1:1 mix and keep it wetter than sundews.

PS: This site: http://www.growsundews.com/ has plenty of the information to get you going
    Last edited by gill_za; 11-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post

As far as I have seen there are only two cultivars of sandersonii in circulation, typical and 'blue' flower. The one I have is typical.
    )
    Turns out of of my plugs of u. sandersonii that I thought was quite unusual... had a small clump of stylidium debile in in. Hence the confusion :]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    Turns out of of my plugs of u. sandersonii that I thought was quite unusual... had a small clump of stylidium debile in in. Hence the confusion :]
    In your package I have separated a clump of sandersonii from the rest of the plants it grew together with and wrapped it separately from the rest of the plants. So you will be able to identify it easily. The package is on its way

Good luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast