What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginners oriented giveaway

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Dear all,

This will be a small novice oriented giveaway. I’d like to give away my N. ventrata rooted and unrooted cuttings as well as unrooted N. thorelli x something hybrid.

With each of the cutting I will include a D. capensis typical and D. spatulata from little pots that are also a home to U. sandersonii ‘white’. You will end up with 4 plants :)

So If you are interested let me know and I will put your name into a hat and randomly pull out 4 names. The order in which the names will be pulled out will determine which plant you will get.

Estimated shipping is $5.
Pots are not included
USA only!

Thank you.

1) Rooted N. ventrata cutting that already formed two pitchers while in my care:

20111108_020b.jpg

20111108_021b.jpg

2) Second rooted (I think) N. ventrata cutting:
20111108_010s.jpg

20111108_013b.jpg

3) Third semi-rooted N. ventrata cutting:
20111108_014b.jpg

20111108_015b.jpg

4) Unrooted N. thorelli x something cutting with new growth point forming (last picture):
20111108_018b.jpg

20111108_016b.jpg

20111108_019b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gill_za,

I started growing nepenthes about a year ago. My first nepenthes was a cutting of ventricosa from my friend Zhilin, who also visits this forum. Currently, I have 9 nepenthes, and about 7 other plants in my collection.

Please count me in! Thanks for the great opportunity!

1. djboyle

Very cool, i just recieved a ventrata, i a contest i won a few weeks ago, i would really be interested in the N. thorelli x something hybrid, as i dont have any representation of it in my samll collection. Please consider me for your contest.

2. monkey_Cup

Hello! I am new to this forum and reletively new to CP in general. Mostly a window grower, myself, though winter is of course giving me hell.

I would be very interested in your giveaway, however, I have enough nepenthes :D
I am trying to get as many different clones of U. sandersonii, so this giveaway appeals to me.
If you deem I qualify;
1 djboyle
2 monkey_cup
3 Newspaperfort

Thanks!

I would like to participate, but I don't have experience growing nepenthes. If you have more than enough participants, leave my name out.

1 djboyle
2 monkey_cup
3 Newspaperfort
4 fdfederation

Ventrata is super easy to grow and is IMO a great beginners Nepenthes. Keep it somewhat wet, not too dry, and not too wet. I used a mix of LFS, Fir bark, peat, charcoal, perlite in 1:1:1:1:1 ratio and it seems to work.

As I have mentioned I will select the names randomly :) and so will the plants be assigned randomly as well.
Thank you for the interest! I will wait a bit in case more people will be interested.

As far as I have seen there are only two cultivars of sandersonii in circulation, typical and 'blue' flower. The one I have is typical.

BTW, sorry about the cat hair in the picture :)

Last edited:
1 djboyle
2 monkey_cup
3 Newspaperfort
4 fdfederation
5. afrodisa thanks for the opportunity

I also have no experience growing neps, but my mother has had one for years. I have one window in the house that gets direct morning sun for a few hours and bright light the rest of the day the same as my mothers conditions, but no shelf so would have to hang the pot, would that be ok for these neps, or do they have to be under lights? If these are adequate conditions, then throw my name in the hat as well, would love to try one thanks to all you guys posting pictures and getting me hooked :-D

The list so far is:
I'm going to close this by the end of Saturday, draw names on Sunday and let you guys know. Planning to ship starting Monday as soon as the shipping fee is received.

1 - djboyle
2 - monkey_cup
3 - Newspaperfort
4 - fdfederation
5 - afrodisa
6 - DJ57

Hi all,
Thank you for participating! The offer is now closed and the names are:

1 - fdfederation
2 - DJ57
3 - Newspaperfort
4 - monkey_cup

Please send me a PM with your address, I will provide paypal email in reply.
Thank you all!

Last edited:
:-D PM sent.

Thank you for your kindness.

:hail: Thank you, gill_za!

Awesome giveaway, Gill! Congrats winners.

gill_za i cant thnak you enough for this chance to grow these awesome plants, cant wait to get them.

It is really not that great of a giveaway. Im just glad to give others the opportunity i was given.

Ha just noticed that monkey_cup you are getting the particular cutting you were asking about. Lucky.

Status update:

1 - fdfederation - Shipped (14Nov2011)
2 - DJ57 - Shipped (14Nov2011)
3 - Newspaperfort - Waiting for postage (17Nov2011)
4 - monkey_cup - Shipped (15Nov2011)

Last edited:
@ Newspaperfort

Unfortunately I have not yet received the postage from you. Do you still want the plants? Please contact me by the end of today (check your PM).

Plants arrived today and have been potted. Thank you! :-D

:-D Plants arrived today in excellent condition and I have put them in pots. The nep is bigger then I thought it would be and very healthy, does not look like it traveled clear across the country. Great packaging job! Thank you again for the opportunity to take the plunge into growing neps. :hail:

Back