User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 9

Thread: Free to experienced seed grower: 50/50 lowii deal

  1. #1
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Free to experienced seed grower: 50/50 lowii deal

    So.. I'm in over my head. The ever so generous David has sent me some fresh lowii seed he collected. I'm embarrassed to say, I've never had success with real nep seeds before. So instead of wasting them on my efforts, I figure hey.. why not share the wealth AND get help?

    So here's my evil plot to make my life easier.
    If you've had success growing HL-UHL nepenthes from seed, let me know. I'll send the seeds to one lucky person who will then sow and grow.. Whatever the group nets in successful growth, we split 50/50. If there is only one seedling, we'll flip a coin or something, I dunno.
    p.S.. your seedling survival rate is just as important to me as germination success levels.


  2. #2
    Cardiac Nurse JB_OrchidGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    3,818
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man oh man I wish I had experience growing these seeds. Gl to the person that gets them. May they be fruitful.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last time i had nep seeds they got mold on them, time before that though they germinated, but they were on different media just this past time so i guess if ya wanna try it put my name in the hat LOL

  4. #4
    BigBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    So.. I'm in over my head. The ever so generous David has sent me some fresh lowii seed he collected. I'm embarrassed to say, I've never had success with real nep seeds before. So instead of wasting them on my efforts, I figure hey.. why not share the wealth AND get help?

    Travis, I did not collect that particular seed; and they are about the simplest to germinate in a 2:1 mix of milled sphagnum or peat to quartz sand. Sprinkle the seed; press them against the surface; and put the pot in a ziplock bag under mild light. Three to four weeks later you should see some sprouts . . .

    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

    -- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

  5. #5
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I've sprouted and grown out many nep seeds...but the only two true obligate HL ones I've done have been spectabilis and Adrianii x lady pauline...both have been successful thusfar.

    I have the room...so I'll put my hat in the ring
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

  6. #6
    Sphagnum Guru Wire Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's Mike, he's a pro at seeds.

  7. #7
    Zhilin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think I'd better to cultivate some good neps and grow them into a large size, and then trade with some of you for the seed grown lowii
    My Grow-List and Want-List
    If you know other unique plants that can walk, can talk, can sing, or can eat people, please tell me and I definitely want to get one.

  8. #8
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    So far I've sprouted and grown out many nep seeds...but the only two true obligate HL ones I've done have been spectabilis and Adrianii x lady pauline...both have been successful thusfar.

    I have the room...so I'll put my hat in the ring
    You are #3 on the qualified applicants list kind sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Where's Mike, he's a pro at seeds.
    Probably at work.. knowing him.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Travis, I did not collect that particular seed; and they are about the simplest to germinate in a 2:1 mix of milled sphagnum or peat to quartz sand. Sprinkle the seed; press them against the surface; and put the pot in a ziplock bag under mild light. Three to four weeks later you should see some sprouts . . .
    My mistake. I thought you collected them yourself.
    You make it sound so easy.. However, I still don't trust my less than 2 years experience. Better safe than sorry with something I REALLY want to pan out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •