Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P. laueana

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I moved my laueana to an african violet pot where it would be consistently moist but not wet and positioned it much closer to the lights, and it took off growing very quickly. This is also keeping in mind that I fertilized it about twice a month. They do need dormancy, too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxoftherose View Post
    I have a small P. laueana that seems to be slowly dying in my care. I would like to give it away to someone who thinks that they can provide a good environment for it to live in. If you decide to take me up on this offer, I will pay shipping so that if it dies, there will be no loss on your part.
    I can't provide a picture right now, since the battery on the camera I normally use is dead, and my other camera is nearly impossible to use. The best way that I can describe it's condition is to say that the leaves are going limp and translucent.
    I hope that someone here can coax this guy back to health.
    Hi there

I have received your plant today. Check your PM for details.
    You are using peat based media right? It had perlite, peat and something that looks like fine sand.
    The plant had no root system. In addition as soon as I submerged it in Trich solution bunch of gnats floated up (dead). I am sure you have seen this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128686
    I am no expert but it looks like you have a similar issue with this plant: Roots roting away, and whatever new roots grow out are damaged by gnats.
    If you have other plants growing in peat based mixes please consider changing to all inorganic soil such as: 3/2 perlite/vermiculite, 1/1/1 APS(or turface)/sand/perlite, or other complex mixes such the one described here: http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plan...la_laueana.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    incredibly interesting chart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Hi there

I have received your plant today. Check your PM for details.
    You are using peat based media right? It had perlite, peat and something that looks like fine sand.
    The plant had no root system. In addition as soon as I submerged it in Trich solution bunch of gnats floated up (dead). I am sure you have seen this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128686
    I am no expert but it looks like you have a similar issue with this plant: Roots roting away, and whatever new roots grow out are damaged by gnats.
    If you have other plants growing in peat based mixes please consider changing to all inorganic soil such as: 3/2 perlite/vermiculite, 1/1/1 APS(or turface)/sand/perlite, or other complex mixes such the one described here: http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plan...la_laueana.htm
    Oh, wow. Looks like I'll be repotting this week, and trying to do something about the gnats! I've been wanting to do an all mineral media for a while with these guys, so this actually works out well. I'll be picking up the spray you talked about as well. Thanks for the feedback!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127701
    "N. jacq is the Lady GaGa of toilet bowl neps... it causes so much controversy" ~Exo

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the temperature doesn't vary much throughout the year. I wonder how much differential there is during the day. Mine, though it never flowers, does pretty well in a grow rack, by south-facing glass doors, going from winter leaf to summer leaf mode, responding to the change in photoperiod, mostly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxoftherose View Post
    Oh, wow. Looks like I'll be repotting this week, and trying to do something about the gnats! I've been wanting to do an all mineral media for a while with these guys, so this actually works out well. I'll be picking up the spray you talked about as well. Thanks for the feedback!
    If you decide to repot the plants, during the process of repotting just remove the old rotten leaves and roots carefully, leaving only healthy looking parts alive, you don't even need to use any spray if you do that I believe. Gnats (if there will be any remaining after repotting) will hate inorganic media and die off.

From my limited experience with pings I know that they are very sensitive to insecticides, fungicides and miticides and a wrong chemical will kill them it seems. Imidacloprid containing spray from Bayer seems to be compatible with them. Spinosad also looks ok, the only side-effect is that the leaves lost the dew (same with sundews btw) but the plants don't seem to be declining after spraying and sending new leaves out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    If you decide to repot the plants, during the process of repotting just remove the old rotten leaves and roots carefully, leaving only healthy looking parts alive, you don't even need to use any spray if you do that I believe. Gnats (if there will be any remaining after repotting) will hate inorganic media and die off.

From my limited experience with pings I know that they are very sensitive to insecticides, fungicides and miticides and a wrong chemical will kill them it seems. Imidacloprid containing spray from Bayer seems to be compatible with them. Spinosad also looks ok, the only side-effect is that the leaves lost the dew (same with sundews btw) but the plants don't seem to be declining after spraying and sending new leaves out
    Oh, it's not just the CPs that are infested with gnats. They're everywhere. I actually think they came from the soil that we potted our Pelargonium citronellum in. Now they're in all the rooms of our house.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127701
    "N. jacq is the Lady GaGa of toilet bowl neps... it causes so much controversy" ~Exo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get your pings in an all mineral media, the gnats wont lay eggs and breed in their media so their roots will be safe. In all my ping pots, the top 1cm or so is bone dry, and is wet/moist below that.

Once there is no media for the gnats to breed in the pings will make great gnat catchers which you can place on your windowsills to catch the gnats around the house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast