Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: dragonfruit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure! There is still around three feet left, so several left. Sing out if you are sitting on the fence.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearl, I would absolutely like to give this a try if you still have some! Does paypal work for you for shipping?
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh ya i herd here in the US its hard for them to set fruit, not only because of climate but also because we dont have many night time pollinators. I believe they are a form of cacti or some how related? I did read up on the fruiting process and did read somewhere that they will only fruit if they have enough support for the vine that sets the fruit as the fruit is as big as a dinner plate(but very much worth all the pain and hassle of keeping it fruiting) if im able to get any fruit from it i'll let you know if i did anything out of the norm and i'll mail ya a fruit
    The fruit them selves do go bad pretty quick after turning ripe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of info on the web about them. Often you see a support system of of wires between the plants. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Y1X6C1DshzvxQg

It would appear that the flesh varies by variety. Of which there are quite a few evidently. I saw a link in a Google search for a place with at least ten or fifteen different ones. Maybe if I get a couple of flowers at the same time next year I will try to hand pollinate them and see what happens. It couldn't hurt. Four went out in the mail today by the way.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...r-0KOzBwhh4EcA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a section if there's still some available. I live on what would be the edge of this species' tolerance - I'm zone 10a, we generally get a few very light frosts in the winter. It's not so much that I'm concerned about, but the prolonged cool temperatures since our winter highs are normally only about 60 degrees, as well as the moisture that accompanies that. But I have a nice sunny space that I think should work, next to a Japanese maple that would provide protection and something to climb.

I do have an Epiphyllum (another tropical cactus) in my yard that I'm growing as an epiphyte, and it's been handling the winter like a champ so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Natalie i used to live in Vietnam for some time and i believe during the rainy season it would dip into the 60s so you may be fine for it, as long as its in a well drained soil it can take the water but i have never grown this plant before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Thailand this June and I had some for desert. These ones had white flesh, it wasn't as sweet or just that I didn't pick the right ones. There is another variety with purple flesh and at that time it was sweeter and they are very refreshing like watermelon.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...ragon%20fruit/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the white flesh is less sweet but sometimes they can be very sweet if you let them get a little over ripe, theres also a pink flesh along with a deep red flesh too

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast