Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dragonfruit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dragonfruit

Hi,

While moving two of my dragonfruit plants into the garage for the winter, I knocked off a large piece, several feet long. It came from the plant to the right. Another view. I am not interested in rooting it at the time, and thought I would offer a segment to some of the members here. Email me at gnixon@satx.rr.com if interested, and I will figure how many pieces to chop in into. It is frost intolerant, and will have to be protected in the winter. That being said, two plants in the front of my house that are so attached to the brickwork I left them in place with a few christmas lights to keep a bit of warmth survived a dip the other night into the 20's. Big, rangey, and hard to handle with small but deceptively painful spines, the flowers when you get em' are massive and very fragrant. Almost as big as a dinner plate.
    If you wish to give it a try, let me know. PD

Ciao!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it Epiphyllum? What color are the blooms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man i would do anything to have some dragon fruit again, its been my number1 craving for fruit for the last 8 or so years, whats the flesh color of the one your giving out?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant we are discussing has never given me any fruit. Actually none of them have. One of them flowered and started to produce a fruit, but it after a time shriveled up and dropped off. I have had flower buds do that sometimes. They seem to grow different in temperate climes than in more tropical. Makes sense. I have seen pictures of them in their preferred climes where they grow almost like a shrubby tree, with the "trunk" almost a foot wide. Not here. Blooming and fruiting can be a bit dicey. I just hope for flowers once in awhile. I am unsure of the fruit color. Though I think all the flowers are white, and the fruit color is one of three or four. Yellow, red, and...? I have only seen the red ones in stores, and rarely at that.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

The flowers one mine have been white. I think they all are, and the difference comes in in the color of the flesh or outside of the fruit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started some dragon fruit from seeds about 4 months ago and out of 100 seeds only 3 germinated.... and they ate only about an inch tall. What are you asking for in return for a cutting?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point, nothing. If you have something you wish to send my way in the spring, all the better. But this is at no obligation. Just send me your mailing info via email gnixon@satx.rr.com or by pm. If the pm box gets full try a bit later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pearldiver i have sent you an email to see if you had any dragon fuit cuttings left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i sent you an email too, thanks!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast