What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I sent an SASE, but it was sent back to me as return to sender. Any clue what may have gone wrong? I woudl like to try sending it again but want to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Thanks

just sent mine out today thanks again

I sent an SASE, but it was sent back to me as return to sender. Any clue what may have gone wrong? I woudl like to try sending it again but want to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Thanks

Did you write "SDCPs" as the person it was addressed to? If so, shame on you :nono: Oh, I forgot that I don't expect you to read through this thread to find my advice about that :-))

You and Jcal should just leave out the name and write the address as shown in the photo.

Let me know if something else happened ???

They are doing great! I've got about 50 sprouts coming up...

yay! If only my hartmeyerorum were so enthusiastic...

If the offer is still open I will be sending you an envelope within a couple of days, this would also be my first time sowing anything from seed. Any advice?

Travis

Travis, see here: seed germination guide

I did two tests: One cup of pure silica sand, and one cup of 100% LFS. Three sprouted in the LFS and have 3 or 4 carnivorous leaves (REALLY TINY) And in the sand, about 20 just germinated! :)

Thank you for reporting. Maybe I need to sow my hartmeyerorum seeds on sand!

Sand is definitely better. Only 5 germinating on LFS, and now over half (Around 30) have germinated on sand!

c6653129.jpg

Will

Sent my SASE today. I have grown these before and these jokers get freaking big! and fast!

Gahhh these are such lovely plants. I've grown seeds from this giveaway a few times now. Had super-high germination rates. I had a pot of these seeds that was completely overrun with algae and other nasties, but these seedlings still fought their way through the muck! A few months and a few feedings later, these things were going on 5" tall and were flowering and producing viable seed!

If I had room in my current setup and/or the means to keep these just a tad drier than my other dews, I'd totally get in on this again. My fatal mistake last time was forgetting that I had these things in a tray-within-a-tray to keep a lower water level, and that tray got dry and stayed that way for too long. D'oh!

All that goes to say -- if you haven't taken advantage of this SASE yet, do so! A real fun species.

Is this offer still valid?

damn i put sdcp as the name too nooo! lol well hopefully you get the envelope and i dont have the same problems as richjam and jcal

The seedlings really take off growing when you start feeding them.

The seedlings really take off growing when you start feeding them.
Rocket,
How big are your seedlings? Pictures please if you can. My seedlings are too small. May be my soil is not good.

My seedlings are about 1/2 tall. They stayed very tiny until I started feeding them, then they shot up in the last week or two. I'll try to take some pics.
Mine are growing in pure sphagnum.

Sending out a SASE in the morning:).

Sand is definitely better. Only 5 germinating on LFS, and now over half (Around 30) have germinated on sand!

c6653129.jpg

Will

Wow! Thank you for the photo! I will have to sow some hartmeyerorum on sand and see what happens. Good thing I saved some :banana2:

Sent my SASE today. I have grown these before and these jokers get freaking big! and fast!

:-D They're certainly a favorite!

Gahhh these are such lovely plants. I've grown seeds from this giveaway a few times now. Had super-high germination rates. I had a pot of these seeds that was completely overrun with algae and other nasties, but these seedlings still fought their way through the muck! A few months and a few feedings later, these things were going on 5" tall and were flowering and producing viable seed!

If I had room in my current setup and/or the means to keep these just a tad drier than my other dews, I'd totally get in on this again. My fatal mistake last time was forgetting that I had these things in a tray-within-a-tray to keep a lower water level, and that tray got dry and stayed that way for too long. D'oh!

All that goes to say -- if you haven't taken advantage of this SASE yet, do so! A real fun species.

I'm so glad your experience with this species was positive!

damn i put sdcp as the name too nooo! lol well hopefully you get the envelope and i dont have the same problems as richjam and jcal

I have it :) Rest assured.

Here is an update of my seedlings. It's been a week since I took that last photo, but these things have grown a lot, so I figured I would make an update! The two biggest ones on LFS are going to be fed soon, the others will be fed in a week or two. Here are some photo updates:

a0493290.jpg

d90b0b11.jpg

a1fc4a31.jpg

2b1d1cca.jpg

30981582.jpg

a4d15a5a.jpg

40d2b255.jpg

Sorry that I couldn't get closer to them, still waiting on a new macro lens ;)

Here is a quick shot of mine. Every time I try to count the seedlings I find one or two more.
Counting the itty bitty ones from last count there are about 12, plus one hitch-hiker you can see in the upper left corner. Not sure what it is, I'll see when it gets bigger.
Hmmm... looks like I need to find the better way to post photos.

Thank Rocketcaver for the picture. Your seedlings look good and are a little bigger than mine. Hope they smell gooooood.

Do these die every year or something?

Yeah, they are annuals :( But at least they grow fast :)

So far mine smell like... damp sphagnum. Mmmmmm!

Back