What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've always used the bags of pool filter sand that you buy at Lowe's or HD. It's a lot, more than you'll need for this, but unless you know someone who has coarse sand on hand to give you, it's the only way to go. Be sure not to use play sand, the kind used in kids' sandboxes. It's like beach sand...too fine and sometimes contains salts.

The best I ever used came from a landscaping company that supplied gravel for cement companies. They carried a mixture of coarse sand and very fine gravel. It was perfect for CPs.

Okay, thank you two for the advice. I think I'm going to head to home depot tomorrow and look some more.

They arrived today! Thanks again for the seeds.

Seeds arrived yesterday. Thank you for the oppurtunity to get into CP's that I may not otherwise tried.

Once these start blooming will they continue to bloom for a while, or just pop a couple flowers and stop? Mine are just now starting to open a couple blooms.

Hi,

Is this offer still valid?

I've always used the bags of pool filter sand that you buy at Lowe's or HD. It's a lot, more than you'll need for this, but unless you know someone who has coarse sand on hand to give you, it's the only way to go. Be sure not to use play sand, the kind used in kids' sandboxes. It's like beach sand...too fine and sometimes contains salts.

The best I ever used came from a landscaping company that supplied gravel for cement companies. They carried a mixture of coarse sand and very fine gravel. It was perfect for CPs.

First time growing them I used silica sand and now with the seeds from Sdcp used playground sand just washed it real good and so far no ill effects used the same sand for byblis and they are doing great as well.

I think I might try that Bob, thanks...The stuff is like 3.50 for a bag I have trouble lifting lol.

I just checked my seeds and several of them are starting to sprout in just lfs, so they are definitely viable :D

Seeds I planted about a month ago are starting to get carnivorous leaves, so I put some gnats on them. The leaves are so small gnats dwarf them xD.

I was wondering if this offer was still valid?

Once these start blooming will they continue to bloom for a while, or just pop a couple flowers and stop? Mine are just now starting to open a couple blooms.

They bloom until they die.

Hi,

Is this offer still valid?

Surprisingly, yes!

I was wondering if this offer was still valid?

Yes.

Seeds I planted about a month ago are starting to get carnivorous leaves, so I put some gnats on them. The leaves are so small gnats dwarf them xD.

Were the seedlings able to snag them?

Here are some of your D. indica seed that sprouted in my bog. Pics taken last month.

IMG_3548.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3537.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3245.jpg
[/IMG]

Some of your seed in a pot and flowering

IMG_1941x1-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1940x1.jpg
[/IMG]

I just love these dews and thank you again for the seed!

What' wrong with my bog?! ??? :( :cry:

How come the surface of your soil looks...so...inviting? Ever since I redid things my spatulatas have been struggling. It's been so hot recently, and I guess I just don't water it enough...but then I don't want rot. My oreos rot quickly in the heat.

:D Thanks for the photos. They look marvelous! My warm weather does have a plus though...you should see the monster I have. Oh, boy: http://youtu.be/214OFqpRibY

Thank you. I was not sure how they would do in the bog and actually the bog ones look better than the potted ones.

Nice video! Yours are eating very well, haha. I learned the hard way high heat and sloppy wet not a good thing in the bog. My bog is 2 feet deep and during hot weather I water from the bottom and don't flood it. The top appears somewhat dry then, but the moss holds in the moisture pretty well and it is not as dry as it looks.

At least you can grow spatulata in your bog. I have tried and they never do well and then die over winter.

Some seed for me also...anyone giveaway there seeds pls update me guys..

Thank you. I was not sure how they would do in the bog and actually the bog ones look better than the potted ones.

Nice video! Yours are eating very well, haha. I learned the hard way high heat and sloppy wet not a good thing in the bog. My bog is 2 feet deep and during hot weather I water from the bottom and don't flood it. The top appears somewhat dry then, but the moss holds in the moisture pretty well and it is not as dry as it looks.

At least you can grow spatulata in your bog. I have tried and they never do well and then die over winter.

I used to have a crazy spatulata/capillaris/burmanii carpet until I redid things. Guess I need to work at getting it back that way. Mine is about the same depth...but it is on wheels! That's saved me a few times. I have relocated it...once we constructed a shed where it was and if I couldn't move it I would have had to demo. it.

Some seed for me also...anyone giveaway there seeds pls update me guys..

This offer is still open! Read the rules and get some.

I used to have a crazy spatulata/capillaris/burmanii carpet until I redid things. Guess I need to work at getting it back that way. Mine is about the same depth...but it is on wheels! That's saved me a few times. I have relocated it...once we constructed a shed where it was and if I couldn't move it I would have had to demo. it.

Mine is in-ground so can't move it around, but there have been times I wish I could have moved it to a protected area so I could use weed killer on that part of the yard, so stuck having to pull weeds by hand.

What did you do different that you cannot grow stuff like before?

Mailing out tomorrow. 6 packets

Thank you very much!

Billy

Back