What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My moss is your gain! (Giveaway)

Not much to say here, I accidentally ordered way too much Spanish Moss online and need to get rid of a lot of it. If you want some, post here.

Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides) is a subtropical bromeliad, closely related to the air plants you see in the store. It's not a real moss, nor a fungus, nor a plant parasite, but an epiphyte that collects water and nutrients from the air and the tree bark. It's supposed to be hardy outdoors down to zone 7, so if you live in an area that experiences hard freezes once in a while, it should survive.

I've had some growing in my yard that I brought back from Louisiana in December 2010, and it handled the dry California summer just fine, even flowering and setting seed. It got water from the sprinklers and nightly fog though, so keep in mind that if you live in a dry-summer climate, it will need to be watered a few times a week (for this reason it can't become invasive in places like California).

I'm not sure about growing it indoors or using it as a CP top dressing, but I think it's been done. It prefers oak and cypress trees in its native habitat, however in my yard it's growing happily on some kind of South American tree (can't find the name right now). It does best when growing in filtered sunlight.

I just unpacked it all to let it breathe, but I'll pack it back up again and ship it out in a padded 8.5" x 11" envelope.

I like your play on words. :)

And would kindly accept your generous offer. :)

Hi Natalie. I'd love some. Thanks:)!

ooo I'd love a bit of it! Pm sent

I'd love some, thanks for your generosity!

I would love to have it, i will pm you.:)

I've got some in the GH now.. but it's not enough for the look I'd like. What's the story with shipping on this generous offer? Would love to adopt a LOT more.

I'm super interested in your generous offer! PM sent.
Thanks for the opportunity =).

Drat.... I was hoping it was long fibered sphagnum moss!

Spanish moss is way better! :D

Alright folks, I've used up all my envelopes so I'm going to pack them up and ship them out before I take more requests. If I still have a bunch more left after this batch I'll take a few more requests.

YAY! Thank you dear.. you are too kind.

Mkay... Gill, Brie, Mark, Mike, Bett, Jacobo, Travis, Eric, Kaleo, and Fernando, keep an eye on your mailboxes because a little piece of Dixie should be arriving next week!

I'm going to take five more requests on this giveaway, so if you want some Spanish moss, now's the time to speak up!

i would like some too! thank you so much!

Oooo, I'd love to get in on this! Very generous of you, too, that's a TON of material to give away!

Zach, Kyle, and Nikki, your moss has been shipped out too. :)

When the moss arrives, you just fluff it up, dunk it in some water, and then hang it where you want. When it's wet, you'll be able to distinguish which parts are alive and which parts aren't (there will always be some nonliving material, that's just the way it grows) - the living parts are green when wet, and will need to be exposed to light in order to grow. If you hang it in strands that are too dense, everything in the center that can't get light will die.

Thank you very much, will be waiting for the moss, which hopefully be here with me on Monday! :)

Thank you Natalie!

Package arrived today! Everything looks wonderful. Already hung it up in the GH. THANK YOU! :hail:

HOUSTON, WE HAVE MOSS!....many thanks. :)

Back