What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata LL coming into bloom

Hello all,

Upon close look of the growing point this morning I noticed that my N. truncata (lowland form) will be coming into bloom in the next month or two. Sex is unknown at the moment but figured I would post and throw some feelers out there if anyone else is noticing any blooms coming up within their own collection.
Thanks

IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

You should contact TJ, he has a male poi dog blooming. Its a very nice one btw.

Awwww makes me miss my LL truncata. May it rest in peace. It was male and about the size of yours.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like the flowering periods will likely not overlap unfortunately as his plant is much further ahead than mine. Maybe storing pollen in the fridge may help preserve the freshness until I can determine the sex.

I just have to comment. What a stunning plant. So much nicer than my Pasian.

Yes I forgot to mention the plant is stunning!!!! I love the lowlanders. Want another so bad. Hood luck with the pollination.

nothing blooming here, but your truncata is gorgeous.

:blush: Thank you all for the kind compliments. It's a slow grower but sure knows how to reward patience!

Depending on the sex and what I am able to locate as a mate, I'll most likely do what I usually do and give away a large portion of my resulting seed. Before anyone gets to excited this likely won't be until this summer when all is said and done.
Now if my N. lowii x campanulata would just cooperate and flower that would make a neat hybrid IMO :)

Oohhhh, Nice Plant there Yann!
Good Growin'! :woot:

As far as pollen is concerned, I would recommend using what you can, as a small chance is better than no chance, and there are always exceptions to the rule. Besides these are plants we are dealing with, and predicting exactly how long pollen is viable is not an exact science.
I have done things over the years that wasn't recommended or "wouldn't work", only to discover that what people thought wasn't possible... is! :beer:

So using old pollen, cold pollen, or even ancient pollen is better than no pollen! ???
Also, one thing that people do know often works, is that if you need to slow down the flowering or extend the bloom time, is to keep the temps a bit at the lower end of the plants likes.
On the reverse, if you need to speed it up a bit, try keeping the plant a bit on the warm side. (Don't go to extremes, but we do this with other plants all the time, to speed up blooming, or else to slow down & extend bloom time.)
If dealing with old pollen, try taking a portion of it & re-hydrate it a bit with distilled water, or even other "things". Something at all is better than of just letting the flowers die away with no "romance" at all!
When you live long enough to see that new ways are always replacing the old, and new ideas, methods and procedures are always becoming the newest "right" way of doing things... then you realize that there are no real "definite", 'set in stone' ways of doing things. We won't know what is possible unless we are open to trying what shouldn't work. :scratch:

There was a time when people didn't understand that VFT's & other temperate CP's needed dormancy & that it could be accomplished successfully even if you didn't live in their natural area. To think of growing them outdoors was looked at as foolish by many growers, but indeed this is now common place. Just as that the world in not in fact....flat! :-O

I do hope you get a worthy mate for this nice plant.
Don't give up and be sure to keep posting for their "arranged marriage" until you get the right companion for it!
Good luck and keep us all posted on your results.
:water:
Paul

PS: Good to see you are still doing amazing things in the hobby!

Wow, that's really beautiful! :) You should enter it into the Pitcher of the Month contest. :)

Thanks again guys!
Paul, growing a plant or two doesn't compare to what you and several other like Av have come up with design wise to cater to an entire genus! I just enjoy seeing the plants as much as you guys do haha

I got to thinking that certainly some of the outdoor CA growers out there ought to have something in bloom this time of year. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

have a N. maxima female starting to bloom as well as a male ventricosa red tip cutting starting as well.

OOOH. Fantastic Nep! I have a giant N x leessii in my office at work that keeps flowering and I keep pruning it because it quickly jumps to a 10' vine. Hope you find pollination. If so I'll trade you for seed. I'll keep watching mine as it generally sends up new ones every 6 months fast. Sweet plant! wish you luck!

Last edited:
Time to find a little girl for an arranged marriage!
Or at least a date!
Good luck!

my female N. maxima
DSC_00060002_3_hf.jpg

Might be a little ahead. But it has been cool outside and it is seeming like this flower stalk is taking forever to grow

Nice flower Mach, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the flowering overlaps at least for some time!

Paul, I don't think this guy is ready to be tied down just yet. I mean he did just hit puberty! ;)

Back