What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aristolochia gorgona seed pods

Aristolochia spp. seed pods

Hi,

Recently I was housesitting for a bud, and at his house I planted a Dutchman's pipe or pipevine a couple of years ago. His does better than mine, and is covered with seedpods from last years flowers. These are fresh, picked three days ago. There should be lots of seeds, they are small and paper thin. The pods are about three inches in length. The vid is a different species.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ueijDg&usg=AFQjCNFvWpLzzBjjTLMuAHf5GNtxxcsidA

IMGP6117.jpg

IMGP6155.jpg

IMGP6116.jpg

They are not carnivorous, but it is said when the flowers are closed they do trap some of the pollinating insects. When closed they kind of look like brains, and when open they look otherworldly. Email if interested in a pod.

Also, awhile back I spied a plastic pond at an estate sale that had been dumped out and left to dry out for eventual sale, and nearby were several water plants that had been in it. I grabbed a few and took them home. I have a few of those should someone be interested.

IMGP6069.jpg

IMGP6068.jpg

IMGP6070.jpg

They look pretty beat up, but I planted a couple and within two weeks they were putting out new leaves. Email if interested. Cheers! Spring is almost here!

Please email rather than pm. My box is full.:)

Email to gnixon@satx.rr.com

Update: One of the pods had started to turn color, and I was going to cut it open, but all I had to do was twist it around a bit and it parted into sections. Each section was full of seeds. They look mature to me.

IMGP6162.jpg

IMGP6163.jpg

Last edited:
I love aristolochias. What is your email? You can PM it to me then I can write you back in an email.

Very cool plant. Apparently they are a very potent carcinogen, and some species of caterpillars eat the leaves to gain toxicity to use as a defense.

How tall are those aquatic plants. Looks like some spp of Saggitaria ?? I may be interested depending on size.

The catapillers that eat them, like the ones that eat passioflora, have ginormous appetites. They can strip a plant of leaves in no time. The ones that go after pipevine are a rust color with black spines. The butterfly is blue. http://www.google.com/search?q=aris...&ei=1N1LT-78E-uHsALQw83qCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ

The ones I have anyway. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9_HqCA&usg=AFQjCNFj1qS90rVcN588UYpISGQTGGL-Ow

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Riceman,

The plants leaves are about an inch wide, and they were six to eight inches tall. The tops were pretty mangled, but I put the extras (about five) in a bucket with rainwater and set them in large aquarium gravel, and they are putting out new leaves. In the pictures you can see some have bulblets attached to the roots, those are about the size of a nickel or a dime. At the bottom of the second photo, there is a purple plastic top of a milk jug. They are good sized plants. With good root systems. Usually with roots and/or meristematic tissue, you are golden.

Here is one I am keeping.
IMGP6156.jpg

Last edited:
Aristolochia in North America are host for butterflies of the genus Battus. They are Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor and Polydamas Swallow tail - Battus polydamas. I raised some of the latter last year using A. gigantea as a host plant. Polydamas swallowtail is not picky about host plants but the Pipevine swallowtail is. It will not feed on A. gigantea though it will lay its eggs on it the larva will not survive.

If I lived in a warmer climate I'd be all over this. I'd love to see the look on my neighbors' faces when it blooms.

Are you sure that is A. gorgona?? The leaves and seed pods look exactly like A. elegans to me. I already grow the latter, but if you can provide evidence that this is in fact A. gorgona, I would be interested.

Have you opened any of those seed pods to verify that the seed has matured? Normally they have to go brown and dry to the open pod stage before they are ripe.

Whimgrinder,

I have edited the post to say unknown species, as it was pointed out to me that is probably was not gorgona. I have not opened the pods, but perhaps I will do one. I kind of figured as they were from last years flowers, they could mature on or off the vine. Should they not be mature, I can still get the pods later in the season, and will remail to anyone who gets the green ones. Whatever the species, I would be happy to send you one if you wish.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Wireman, regardless of your clime, I can send you a pod if you wish. Perhaps you could try it as an annual.

OK, I'll take some of the sagittaria. Can't find your email. PM me. Thanks.

Whimgrinder,

Whatever the species, I would be happy to send you one if you wish.

Thanks, pearldiver, but I'll pass, since it seems likely that this is the same species I already grow. Thanks anyway :)

I tried to pm you but it said your inbox was full are there any seed pods still available?

The pods do dry out and split open into fingers like a basket. The seeds have a wing all around them and are spread by the wind. Opened dried pods are woody and very beautiful.

It appears one person's pod was underdeveloped, and I will resend. There are still six pods left if anyone wants one.

I've got mine hanging from a shelf since one is still green. They are drying and I hope they will open up soon. I think they will in time.

Mine has opened and all the seed seem mature to me. Anyone have any idea how to start them?

There are a few ways. The traditional way to just place them in a pot and then pour soil about half an inch deep on top of them. Water them and keep them under hot bright lights. Heat really helps. If you can have them in there at 80-90 degrees and moist that is good.

There is also the paper towel method that I have only had success with one seed. You put a moist paper towel in a sandwhich bag, put the seed inside the paper towel folded over then seal it and get all the air out. Put it under the same light and temp as before. Once you see a root come out you can plant them in a pot of regular soil and it should shoot up. I've heard this method is faster but I didn't have much luck with it. Others say it was great.

But heat light and humidity are key. Moist but not water logged soil. And they can take forever. Depending on the species up to six months in some cases. Here's one of my sprouts from last year.

Aristolochia seed sprout by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Aristolochia trilobata sprout by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Oh forgot to mention I also soak my seeds in a coffe cup with hot water over night to soften the seed up.

Back