Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just getting started

Hey everyone, my name is John, and I'm new around here. I was curious at to if someone with lots of sundews could help me out. I'm interested largely in growing nepenthes and sundews but I wanna start easy, so sundews is where I want to start. The problem is I, being a student who currently is unemployed, doesn't really have much money. So I was hoping that someone could give me a hand getting started. I'm looking for sundew seeds. More specifically a sundew "mix" of seeds and gemmae(sp?) with enough substrate to get me on my own to feet. I don't really have much to trade, but i'm more than willing to work something out. I DO have some cacti seeds, but that's about it... Also, I may be able to be convinced to trade off a cactus or two for what I'm asking. I'll even cover shipping and such if asked. Many thanks to anyone who reads/responds to this and/or helps me out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @john: well, you posted in the right thread....people periodically give away plants from time to time, actually more frequently now that spring is upon us. either apply for recent giveaways or wait till you find something interesting...

with regards to substrate, it'll probably be better if you found your own, which can be found in any lowes, home depot, or nursery--shipping costs really outweigh any advantage you might gain. you are looking for peat (just remember to avoid the miracle brand), and horticultural sand. the majority of sundews grow in a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of sand: peat. for research so you dont end up killing your plants, either check TF for answers, or http://www.growsundews.com/.

best of luck!
    -Jon
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thank you. Would architectural/landscaping sand work okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where you live might help people help you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the south east corner of Pennsylvania. So a moderate climate.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

Near what city are you located? I am in north east Philadelphia.
    Take a look at this too http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127453
    Maybe you can find someone nearby. If you have soil ready I can send you some plants and will cover shipping since you are a beginner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually not very far from you. I'm going to temple next year and It's around a 40 minute drive from where I live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcom to terraforums. I grew up in Bucks County (near Warminster) though living in NJ now. I also went to college in Philly, though that was a while ago!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast