What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Seeds: D. slackii, D. adelae, D. regia, P. gigantea

Wanted Seeds: D. slackii, D. adelae, D. regia

I have drosophyllum lusitanicum and a host of other seeds (mostly tropical drosera) to trade!

I don't have seeds but I have a few Drosera adelae of varying sizes to trade. I'll PM you when I can get to a computer.

I don't have any seeds but I have an extra D. adelae plant I could trade for some dros seeds pm me if interested

If I know SDCPs, he's not interested in plants - he wants seeds specifically. XP

@SDCPs: I assume your attempt at cross-pollinating your D. adelae with one of mine was never successful? Did you ever end up trying it? If so, what procedure did you use?

Well, no, I never did get any seed. I tried rubbing flowers against each other, and brushes, but nothing came of it. I suspect it might have been the growing environment indoors. I made this nifty hanging basket just for them...with a little light and reflector. The chains went through the reflector--everything just perfect...and my other family members would keep switching off the light (even though it was on timer!) because it would be on at night (well I wanted it on at night so we could use it for a practical purpose also) and I wouldn't find out until days later...I also forgot to water them for a while and that's what finally did them in. Healty plants would have recovered, but these were worn out.

I would take plants of adelae, but sincerely prefer seed as you've mentioned. Sorry for failing your plant. It was a very pretty plant. At least I have some nice photos!

Adelae+flower.JPG

Hey, it happens to the best of us, eh? If you like, I'd be happy to send you a bunch of them, various sizes and ages, and I'll cover shipping. I've got a ton of them, so if you'd like half a dozen or so, just let me know and PM me your address. ^.^

I have 6 Regia seeds but not really interested in what you mentioned...

I have 6 Regia seeds but not really interested in what you mentioned...

P. caerulea? P. lusitanicum? Any specific drosera varieties?

Hey, it happens to the best of us, eh? If you like, I'd be happy to send you a bunch of them, various sizes and ages, and I'll cover shipping. I've got a ton of them, so if you'd like half a dozen or so, just let me know and PM me your address. ^.^

I would have to at least send you something in exchange. I don't know if you're into pings, but the two species I just mentioned would probably do very well under your setups. PMing now!

While I appreciate the offer, I truly know nothing about either species and fear I wouldn't do their seeds justice. SDCPs, you've been good to me, and you you've been good to the community. You don't owe me anything. I'll get the plants out ASAP.

hey SDCP
we did a trade on the other forum a while back for broad leaf cape and a D.dichtoma (dichtoma is my favorite plant in my collection btw) you might not remember :p anyways a friend gave me this link a while back when i wanted to start making hybrids
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?89161-Drosera-Cross-Pollination
its a pretty much flawless, I've yet to find a better way ^.^ maybe next time you try an adelae you can try that method and see if it works for you
and gl with finding your seeds!

Would you trade the regia seeds for a live plant?

While I appreciate the offer, I truly know nothing about either species and fear I wouldn't do their seeds justice. SDCPs, you've been good to me, and you you've been good to the community. You don't owe me anything. I'll get the plants out ASAP.

They are tropicalish. P. lusitanicum at the least is very easy. It's an annual and self-pollinates. Keep slightly shaded, but otherwise from like any tropical sundew when germinating.

I appreciate your kind words. They make my eyes well up a bit. I'm glad I could help you and other growers. :boogie:

hey SDCP
we did a trade on the other forum a while back for broad leaf cape and a D.dichtoma (dichtoma is my favorite plant in my collection btw) you might not remember :p anyways a friend gave me this link a while back when i wanted to start making hybrids
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?89161-Drosera-Cross-Pollination
its a pretty much flawless, I've yet to find a better way ^.^ maybe next time you try an adelae you can try that method and see if it works for you
and gl with finding your seeds!

Hey Ras!,

The fundamental problem is d. adelae. It doesn't like to set seed. I will certainly check out that link though. Thank you so much. And yes, I remember you well. I looked at the plants you sent just yesturday! I'm glad you're enjoying the binata! I love the particular clone I sent you :)

Would you trade the regia seeds for a live plant?

Of p. lusitanicum maybe. But seeds of this species are really easy to germinate. You should give them a try!

I dont know...I cant even germinate venus flytrap seeds. They might be easy to germinate but everyone says they are difficult to keep alive after germination. I dont have grow lights either. I can only grow outside in the Northern California climate or on a windowsill that gets full sun for about 1 hour in the morning

They're low light, moisture-loving. Really easy to keep alive. Just get a nice peaty pot with a bit of sand maybe, keep it wet and seeds sprout easy despite mistakes. I had worms in a pot...even the capensis babies were struggling...but these popped right on through, and grew really fast.

Seriously, this is an easy plant. Make sure the surface of the medium is nice and smooth without boulders and moist.

they drosophyllum lusitanicum seeds arrived today and half where planted, sand paper some and cut the pointy end off others
thanks for the trade

they drosophyllum lusitanicum seeds arrived today and half where planted, sand paper some and cut the pointy end off others
thanks for the trade

The plants you sent arrived in great condition, thanks! Sounds like you sowed the droso seeds correctly. I'm wishing you luck!

Eric, in response to your PM (you've exceeded PM space):

Sure! I'd love to trade again. Yes, there were some pods when I send the plants ;)

Why not save half of it for next season. The other half just try sowing on a heavy sand mixture and hope for the best. Whatever you do, don't throw it out. This annual waits for the proper time to sprout, otherwise it'd be no more. They seem to pop up in the spring around here. They stay in seed form through the whole winter. Pretty impressive. In short, I really don't know how to germinate them. They are weeds for me...which is basically the only way I've had success with them. They don't sprout when I want them to. I threw out my original batch only to get a d. indica empire by surprise!

-Ian

I have some adelae seed from my plant that I self-ed it didn't produce many seeds and most flowers produced nothing but about one in 10 flowers produced a seed pod I think Iv got about 30 seeds so far.

Thanks for the offer! I have a few plants that I'm going to try to get seeds again with. I'm glad you've affirmed that it can be done! What are you interested in?

The "Three Sister" Sundews are dichogamous meaning the pistils and stamens ripen at different times. Try the "yesterday's anthers on today's stigma" method.

Hi SDCPs The ping lusitanicum would be nice just one thing though Im in New Zealand so Im not sure about sending seed to you? but I can if you want, hopefully you can get a few seeds yourself I was trying to encourage you with the pollinating the flowers.

Back