Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF: Fresh, interesting HL pollen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LF: Fresh, interesting HL pollen

My N. "Splendid Diana" aka splendiana has it's first flower spike! I am a windowsill nepenthes grower so I am interested in HL pollen. Let me know what you have and I'll decide which I'd like to use. It's not a huge spike, but I may be able to do a few crosses. We could all evenly split portions of the seeds. Here are pics:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're sure that's a female?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was given to me by Jeremiah Harris as N. Splendiana, which I believe is a female clone. I agree, the buds themselves look a little male-ish.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are female, I have pollen from a red ventricosa up for grabs.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that pitcher looks exactly like my po dog which is a Nepenthes Maxima Poi Dog

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeymk/6908389210
    Last edited by MICKEY; 05-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the impression N. Splendiana is a grex, not a cultivar. Is that not correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something I am not clear on myself. This thread discusses the debated parentage of N. "Splendid Diana" and mentions that the reason it is known as splendiana is because the creators mistakenly latinized the name when they actually desired to reference Bruce Bednar's sister, Diana. Dave Evans mentions an article, the editors of which should have caught the mistaken naming. The fact there is an article makes me think they selected a clone as a cultivar, which is likely the common female clone I believe I have (Jeremiah told me the plant was female when he gave it to me).

On the other hand, the cross that produced N. "Splendid Diana" obviously produced male plants as well as mentioned here. I suppose I cannot rule out that I have a male plant from this cross, but since I was told the plant was female and that seems to be the "Splendid Diana" most common in cultivation, I assumed mine was a female.

What I am not clear on is whether "Splendid Diana" really is a cultivar or a grex. I don't know any of the rules determining what gets cultivar status and what is just a named cross. The ICPS does not list "Splendid Diana" as a registered cultivar on its website. Does this mean it is just a grex?
    Last edited by byuboy29; 05-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a ventricosa X inermis that currently has most of its buds making pollen. I could try to send you the flowers in wax envelope if you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast