Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** LF: Live Red Sphagnum ***

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    The Sphagnum that is referred to as "red" is a species that changes color according to climate conditions, light levels and other seasonal cues. If you were sold "red" Sphagnum, then you already have what you are looking for. Acquiring more "red" type will just exhibit the same behavior once it acclimates to your conditions.
    Ugh... Well how can I make it turn red then?

If anyone has some they think is pure red, let me know, still interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I and everyone is trying to tell you, it will be red again when the seasonal conditions permit (red color in often inspired by cool temps and bright lighting think of leaves changing color in the fall). Other "red" sphagnum will do the same color shift throughout the year when it's cooler and light is more intense the red will come back. Patience grasshopper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get tired of waiting for the color to change, some red food coloring could help it along it's way...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! In Winter, the light levels are lower, but the temps are cooler. Maybe that will make it change? We'll see.

If anyone thinks they have a pure red strain, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    If you get tired of waiting for the color to change, some red food coloring could help it along it's way...
    Actually? I might try that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a quart of red LFS here. It was red when I gathered it, and it's still red in it's no light bagged conditions.
    Let's prove everyone right and do a trade for that truncata 'Pasian' of yours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pH of the water that it is in can also have an effect. Sphagnum is know to acidify water by doing a proton exchange sort of deal to its thing. Higher the acidity often seems to equate to redder sphagnum..... Sort of the deal with anthocyanin pigments like you find in purple cabbage . add acid red add alkaline green

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I have a quart of red LFS here. It was red when I gathered it, and it's still red in it's no light bagged conditions.
    Let's prove everyone right and do a trade for that truncata 'Pasian' of yours.
    By quart you mean a big kinda like this... Packed full?...

If you can PM me pics, we may be able to work something out. And by prove everyone right, do you mean it will turn back to green?

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    pH of the water that it is in can also have an effect. Sphagnum is know to acidify water by doing a proton exchange sort of deal to its thing. Higher the acidity often seems to equate to redder sphagnum..... Sort of the deal with anthocyanin pigments like you find in purple cabbage . add acid red add alkaline green
    Well I water with distilled... So that should be at 7.0 or so. I have also used coffee on these guys and I haven't seen any difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct. That is a quart.. and yes, packed full.
    I'll get some pics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast