Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** LF: Live Red Sphagnum ***

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*** LF: Live Red Sphagnum ***

I got some live red sphagnum from my CP nursery and it like turned green... I don't even know how that's possible. What I'm looking for is pure red sphagnum. The kind I got that was red was mixed in with green stuff, it wasn't pure red I guess. That's why it reverted to green. Red or purple is fine, but preferably something bright that pops.

For trade, I have...
    - Live 100%-green Sphagnum (no tan except underneath) -----> Only small amounts until my cultures grow out
    - N. truncata Pasian Highlands (may become unavailable)

Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it may not have enough light

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEY View Post
    it may not have enough light
    Its in my greenhouse under 50% shade cloth... It was just that it dried out and when it came back it was green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My live sphagnum goes through different color phases throughout the year. Right some is straw yellow some is all green and some is red, it's all the same sphagnum. Sometimes it's all red, all yellow or all green. As long as it's moist, humid and not over fertilized it will find it's happy place. Sphagnum doesn't like high temps in general so keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    My live sphagnum goes through different color phases throughout the year. Right some is straw yellow some is all green and some is red, it's all the same sphagnum. Sometimes it's all red, all yellow or all green. As long as it's moist, humid and not over fertilized it will find it's happy place. Sphagnum doesn't like high temps in general so keep that in mind.
    It's living with my highland Nepenthes and they're happy. The sphagnum I have is growing faster than weeds. Still looking for red sphagnum though. Mine is all green.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure your not going to find any red sphagnum unless its a rare variety from a special island or something. Keep in mind that sphagnum mass clones it self a LOT by making offshoots and spreading spores to most likely the same plant. Also, birds that pick up worms and stuff usually pick up sphag bits or spore bits too. If you ever run into a sphagnum bog, then the sphagnum species there most likely originated from one plant that was carried by a bird to make a nest...etc. Sphagnum isn't like your typical flowering plant and rarely produces spores since it can mass propagate so well. I have only seen one picture of sphagnum producing spores from a fellow TF member's GH. Wireman can help you out a lot more on this subject.

(If anyone has more experience with spores and sphagnum's genetic coding in please correct me if Im wrong)

Edit: It also depends on the type of conditions your sphagnum is in to make it be red. In the red type species I've seen online it seems that the only way to make them red is to simulate the exact conditions of where they were found in the location data. Sadly, most HL Nepenthes don't like these sunny boggy conditions (unless its a miranda..).
    Last edited by lance; 07-08-2012 at 07:20 PM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then just red sphagnum that stays red would work... :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sphagnum that is referred to as "red" is a species that changes color according to climate conditions, light levels and other seasonal cues. If you were sold "red" Sphagnum, then you already have what you are looking for. Acquiring more "red" type will just exhibit the same behavior once it acclimates to your conditions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast