What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give aways

Not sure where I should post this suggestion.

How about if the poster of the give away offer puts in the first 10 numbers of a list and then takers would insert their choice of number in numerical order if it is above ten? That way the topic would only contain numbers used above 10 and not have all the unused numbers in each posting making for a long thread full of blank space.

@afro: totally agreed with you-- not being efficient. ;)

another suggestion could be people taking the time to copy and paste the previous list and enter their numbers in the correct sequence. it sounds totally tedious but in fact it isnt since, if everybody is playing their part, you'd only be entering one number. it'd also be easy to see if your number is taken or not--rather than scrolling through pages, just look at the most recent list, find where your number should be, and if it's not there, put it in....easy peasy...

example:

1st list:
88- ##########

2nd list:
02- ##########
88- ##########

3rd list:
02- ##########
63- ##########
88- ##########

4th list:
02- ##########
63- ##########
88- ##########
97- ##########

etc. by doing so, a list is still being generated so everyone can see which numbers are taken, but will also compress the list as to not have excessive wasted space.

Seriously people. Get it together! ;)

wont happen. People cant seem to get it together unless it is partially started. Sort of like putting empty frames into a hive of bees. The bees will build comb without a frame but will do it they way they want to or the way they see works best. in the end it makes it difficult if not impossible to harvest the honey with out destroying much of what is being built. Same thing with the numbers. I am looking at the end to make it easy to do the drawing and figure out who wins or who has overwritten people or has doubled up. I am seeing that people do not seem to be able to follow patterns or written instructions...... Might make it long term a good reason to not have give aways...

If it were enforced by the philanthropists it would work. If you don't follow the rules, you don't get to participate. If the giveaways also followed a set protocol, it would be quicker to learn by participants.

I agree with Mach, some people don't seem to even read and/or are not able to follow directions of a giveaway even by example of the previous poster, so a set protocol would go right by them. I think "pull a name from a hat" or "first come, first served" is the only solution to messed up "pick a number" giveaways, which is a shame since the number generator is the fairest way to do a giveaway.

I like amphirion's suggestion that if you don't fully read and follow all instructions, your name/number is removed from the list of participants.

Sorry about that! I left out the part about copying the last message and pasting it into your message before putting in your selection. Always refresh the window immediately before copying the last list, if you don't there could have been 6 or 8 posts made while you were wading thru the pages before the end. I know I have had to edit a post right after it was made because someone else had posted while I was composing mine.

OR

The list could be strictly numerical so the only choice you have is the next number. If you overwrite someone else's name yours will be removed and you will not be allowed to participate in the current offer. If the same member keeps violating the rules they will be excluded from entering any give aways and be placed on a BANNED list. Harsh I know but experience is a quick teacher.

Back