What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uphwiz

jimmy
i have a 6' x 8' kit greenhouse , need to find a few pics, its setting at my old home and is useless to me and i dont think im going to be needing it in the near or even far future, if their is some on in the virginia, north carolina area that would like it, i would like to make some kind of trade, let me know by PM .
it is in very good shape, its been up for a couple years, it is on a built deck , made just for it, so itn in no way miss shaped or put of square, all panels are in tack with no broken pieces, it will need to be broken down, this is something you will have to do , i can offer a hand but you will need to pick it up from this end, i will not deliver it , ill see if i can find a pic or two.
i 6'2" and can walk in with plenty room overhead. wish i had the means to keep it up but there is no way i can afford to keep it warm in the winter, so it is just sitting empty and lonely at this point.:blush:
here is a picture, and a couple pics of my alabamensis (just found these old pics while looking for the greenhouse pics), id trade the green house for a nice clump of alabamensis. and maybe one more sarr that i dont have, or a nice intermediate nep, :-D
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2439.jpg

I'm interested but I don't really have anything to trade right now, also I don't know how I would get it here to Raleigh or where I would put it. I'm gonna pass, but thats a great deal! An alabamensis for a greenhouse!

Inbox is full. Can you please pm me the name of the city you live in. I might not be that far away.

I'm kind of far away, but would drive out with a truck.
I also have a nice alabamensis AND intermediate nep I can bring with me. :awesome:

hey mass if you do come out this way dont forget to drop by and say hey! im only 1 state up lol

I have to anyways Anna. Couldn't drive all that way without being able to say,"I drove through Chevy Chase."

Hey Jimmy,
I am interested in the greenhouse for my mom who live in Stafford VA close to your neck of the woods.
PM me if it is still available.
-mike

michigan, it will cost more in gas than i paid for the green house , got a great deal on it .
mass are you sure??? llok like about 750 to 800 miles x average mpg truck . 750 divided by 25mpg = 30 gallons of gas times 4.00 per gallon.
120.00 per trip 240.00 well you might save a bit but youll need to travel very light. and sleep in your truck. i dont have accomidation at this old address or id put you up for the night.
im responding in order of posts here , my inbox is now cleared for messages

Last edited:
ahh he can crash at my place if need be :) im sure the old man wont mind, hell he owes me a drink anyways lol

PM'ed ya Jimmy.

p.S.. used to drive 33 straight hours from here to Vegas, only stopping for food and gas. Sleep is for the birds..
And if I recall correctly Anna, tis you that owes ME the drink. No call no show on your Dtown visit.

ok fine i still havent found my ID but im sure i can get a few things and make some weird mix lol

Not trying to hijack the thread Jimmy.. so back to business.
I'd like Michael to take my slot for the GH. I owe him a favor from a couple years back and would like to repay it somehow. So this is the least I can do.
If for any reason that doesn't work out, I'm still up for the drive (and chill Anna).

Would love to be able to do something nice like this for my mother. Very admirable mk..

Please remember that alabamensis cannot be traded if crossing state lines.
Andrew

I did not know that. Still pretty new with sarrs..

IRRC, alabamensis can be given as gifts... Just not sold for money, and paying shipping is technically paying... I don't know about trading..

If you drive it across state lines and then trade it there is nothing illegal about it.

From the ICPS FAQ on CITES:

Relevant rules:
Carnivorous plant enthusiasts within the USA must take care to follow its regulations, even though some of the regulations could be easily thwarted by shipping unmarked boxes in the mail. In particular, the following actions are regulated by the E.S.A.:

1)You may not engage in "trade" of plants with anyone outside of your state. Trade means you cannot sell plants, barter plants for goods, or even exchange plants for plants. (see E.S.A. F.17.61(d),(e).

--Qualifier #1: It is my reading of the E.S.A. that you may transmit listed plants across state lines personally or through the mail if it is purely a gift, and if you do not ask for money. This is because such an activity is not considered commerce (see E.S.A. F.17.61(d), (e)). However, I could also argue that even gifts are prohibited by E.S.A. F.17.61(b), but I do not think this is the case.

--Qualifier #2: I suppose you could ask your interstate partner to send you money to cover postage, packing, etc. However, I would not do this if I were you. I would advise that you simply eat the postage charges and stay clear of breaking the law.

Last edited:
@Griffin, so what you are saying is that every trade that occurs on this forum is technically illegal? Because "trading" plants is not something that I think anyone cares about with endangered or threatened species being the exception. This is one of those laws that is written but not enforced, such as the law on bundling. Technically forcing someone to buy two shoes instead of just one shoe when shoe shopping is bundling which is illegal, but because no one cares it is not enforced.

My apologies, as I am not even involved in the trade.
I just happened to be reading the FAQ when I saw this thread, and thought I would help by showing the section from the CITES area.
I did not mean to stir up controversy.

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, just wanted to point that out. Also if you had said Those clauses were from CITES it would have been implied that one, you were dealing internationally, and two that you are automatically talking about protected plants. CITES does not apply to common plants. Again didn't mean to attack you sorry if it came across that way.

Back